Advice on my Bristolnose please

Bev C

Hey everyone ,

I am heart broken❤️🩹 my favorite fish is in trouble i think

I am only having trouble with my bristolnose pelco in the tank ,, the water testing is fine ..not having trouble with any other fish 

My bristolnose Marvin  is adult not sure how old  he was adult when i got him babies does not do well in my tank but i have had him 2 years  he is not acting himself usually he is all over the tank  he is not hanging on the sides either 

but he is sitting in one area at the bottom not moving he stays in one place  ,, i have not seen him move or eat  over a week ,, he will not touch any vegetables, repashy food  or  flakes or pellets food i even tried soaking algae wafers  and tried hand feeding him or putting food near him  

he has never let me get to close to him .  but when i am close he does not move i thought at first he is blind  or have a fin hurt or missing but he has all his fns     i moved him  to a quarantine tank and  usually he is hard to catch but i got him  in the net the water testing in the quarantine tank  is fine there to and he is acting the same way

,, he has always been a solid  black/brown color but he has spots now full time the spots not it is not ick  i thought he was dying when i research they say a pelco can get spots before dying  but he is still  alive after a week 

any advice is welcome , does older pelco get old and very lazy and stay in one spot or is he dying   he does not look sick just not eating or moving 

• Sad 2

What is his behavior during the nighttime?  What is he doing?

Plecos sometimes do have a discoloration due to stress or just simply their camouflage as well.  Here's an example.

image.jpeg.de7ce1606239fb9370c8718424f3d12d.jpeg

My clown plecos get almost pale and lose all of their stripes.  At first I thought it was a severe disease until I found out about this stuff. I hope that's all it is and the behavior stuff is something else we can work on.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 Thank you very much for suggesting that  I thought of that  I check on him  every night  I have checked different times  I have set my alarm and checked the tank with the lights on  and with the lights off (  I used a flashlight to see in ) and he is still in the same place. he is not moving .. but he wags his fins, tail and his top fin sticks up constantly I think because of the stress   .... Normally when he is stressed out his top fin sticks up occasionally  

@Colu I do not have a photo but I took a video of him this evening, I   do better with video then taking photos ...  I tried to get him focused  but did not do a good job he is in the very back corner he is usually solid color 

update This evening he is still alive  and in the same place not moving , and he's still not eating. & this evening it looks like  around his mouth area looks funky funny looking 

Edited by Bev C
  • Sad 1

With the symptoms your describing I would do is treat with kanaplex and and follow up with a course of ick x in case he has any secondly fungal infection developing around his mouth  the most important thing is to get him to eat your could try soaking his food in seachems garlic guard to help stimulate his appetite @Bev C

• Like 1

@Colu thank you, and thank you for being so patient and helpful,   I have had fish for 15 years and this is my first serious  sick fish .  I have never had to medicate a  tropical  fish before I Have them die suddenly but  not sick,

Only things I have dealt with was ick  & pest snails    I Only had to treat once for ick that was my first fish that got me started in the hobby   a goldfish  I adopted from my Mom  still  have  same bottle of ickX .  I need to replace the bottle expire date dead.

I  also have a small box of aquarium salt  unopened I have in just in case emergencies my fish store says it is best to  have a bit of salt  lying around  just in case needed.  

My local store where I buy the fish does like Cory & ACO  does   the quarantine and  use the same  3 meds  with their new fish before selling. And I always quarantine my new fish for 2-3 weeks in my 20 quarantine gallon tank with no meds …    Before adding new fish to   main tank … I have never had ro re-medicate them .. 

About The Bristol Nose 

@Colu I'm ordering a new bottle of ickx  from ACO ..  And ordering  the Kanaplex from Amazon, but Amazon says it will  be in till Tuesday,  my local fish store is 2 hours away..     and Walmart local does not have it in stock   either. Could I use the Aquarium salt till the other meds get here ? How much should I use?

I have a 20 gallon QT Tank but only have 10 gallonsof water  in it only using a sponge filter   …  I have some Water Wisteria in a QIT Tank, should I remove it before adding meds ..  

Have a Question, plus  is  the Kanaplex  the same and treats the same illness  as Mardel Maracyn that ACO sells ? or are the 2 different  meds ? I  was wondering   when I did a  Google search on Kanaplex  the Mardel Maracyn came up 

When I get the Kanaplex should I just follow the directions on the package. Is there any special directions 

Should I treat my other fish in my main 55 gallon  tank too ? With the ickX or Kanaplex?   Should I remove my nerite and mystery snails too ?   They are not showing  signs ? 

Edited by Bev C

Kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment and treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria and maracyn treat's mostly gram positive and some gram negative bacteria what you could do is add one table spoon for 3 gallons of aquarium salt as catfish are more sensitive to salt I wouldn't add more than that just desolve the the salt in a cup to of warm water before adding it to the tank and monitor him closely the salt will also aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes I have never kept water wisteria so I don't no how salt tolerant it is so it best. To remove it I wouldn't treat the main tank if non of the other  fish are showing any symptoms just follow the instructions on the box  for kanaplex @Bev C

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 6:03 AM, Bev C said:

Could I use the Aquarium salt till the other meds get here ? How much should I use?

Yes, from the "re-write directions" thread this is the measurement I use. 1/2 cup per 10G

Looking at dosage for salt on the ACO blog:
Level 1: A hair under 1/4 cup per 10G
Level 2: A hair under 1/3 cup per 10G
Level 3: 1/2 cup per 10G

Edited by nabokovfan87

Update  

My Bristol nose is still  alive, I had some seachems's garlic guard already That I bought previous when I had  2 finicky tetra  eaters  I socked zucchini and algae waver.  He will not touch it.   I even tried feeding by hand 

I did the salt last night for the first time  and followed @Colu &  AOC Level 1 directions, but  I only used 2 tablespoons per 3 gallons  mix with water ,,,. Since Colu said catfish were sensitive to salt,  

. I  keep sand in the QT tank all the time  but only have a heater and sponge filter there ... and when I moved  him I moved his cave too … I did move the live plants out of the QT tank  before doing the salt 

After adding the salt his mouth area still looks funny, but a little better  little rounder  Still have not seen him eat  But he moved first time in days. But not much    !  He moved a little nearer to  his cave he normally  lies on top or in the cave, but he moved first time  ,,,   

this morning I noticed he is leaning to his left side ,,, his belly looks normal, not bloated. And he acts like his balance is off.   I tried to look at his bottom fin  He does not act like he is in pain or stress out  or anything,  and he wiggles his tail ,,, I will  continue with the salt till the meds gets here   I hope the meds helps    if not  I am not sure what to do next. I do not want him to suffer, I feel like a bad  fish Momma, and it has been one stressful week not knowing what to do for him  😕

Edited by Bev C
  • Sad 1

Do you have any epsom salt on hand?

Epsom salt is completely different from aquarium salt and also has completely different uses and effects when used on goldfish. While aquarium salt is great at treating external infections and helps with healing wounds, the effects of epsom salt are more physical and for more internal problems. Epsom salt can also be used in baths or in the tank as a whole. 

Epsom salt uses: 

• Epsom salt treats swim bladder disorder. If your goldfish is having trouble swimming correctly, is swimming upside down, or is stuck on the top or bottom of the tank, it could have swim bladder disorder. This problem could arise from an internal infection, if that’s the case epsom salt will not treat that, you will need antibiotics. However if the problem is more genetic, from overfeeding, or just from occasional bloating and gas, epsom salt will help treat the buoyancy issues from both adding it to the tank and from baths.

Epsom salt does have some great benefits, but note that it does not actually help fight or treat any pathogenic disease, but does help with more physical disorders. I would NOT recommend regularly using epsom salt in the tank water as a whole and only really using it in the tank when you see a majority of fish in the tank are suffering from constipation, buoyancy, or bloating problems. HOWEVER, I would say that occasional epsom salt baths are great to help prevent buoyancy and digestive issues in the long term. 

How to do an epsom salt bath: 

Doing an epsom salt bath is very simple. You will need to pour one gallon of water from your fish tank into a bucket, make sure you are using tank water! To that one gallon of tank water, add 1 tablespoon of epsom salt and mix it thoroughly until it completely dissolves. After you have it dissolved simply pick up your fish out of your tank and add them to the bath. Leave the fish in the bath for 15-35 minutes. HOWEVER, you must watch them closely and see how they respond to the bath! Every fish is different, some are more tolerant to epsom salt than others. Some goldfish may have to be removed from the bath within a few minutes because it is too harsh for them. Generally the larger the fish, the more tolerant they will be to the salt, however sometimes this is not true. If the fish seems too stressed and appears to swim weirdly, it’s best to remove them from the bath and next time use a lower concentration. If you leave them in the bath for too long and the fish does not respond well to the salt, you could kill your fish! It is vital that you stay close and monitor them during the entire bath. I have noticed that epsom salt baths are generally less harsh and stressful than aquarium salt baths, but it’s still very important to closely monitor them. Do NOT give very young fish salt baths.

EDIT: (For clarification) Some articles suggest a bath for 10 minutes, most packaging will say minimum 15 minutes.  The point here is to keep an eye on the fish, especially respiration and gill movement and make sure they aren't showing any signs of stress.  If they do, remove them immediately from the bath.

@Bev C

On 7/25/2022 at 5:55 AM, Bev C said:

I do not want him to suffer, I feel like a bad  fish Momma, and it has been one stressful week not knowing what to do for him  😕

100%.  I really wish I had a better idea of how to help.  This is a difficult one.

If you can, please try to video him tomorrow the sores or whatever it is on his mouth.  It might explain the lack of wanting to eat.  Maybe he has something in his mouth causing issues?  Maybe it's painful for him to eat until this stuff heals?  It sounds like he might've gotten scared or thrashed into something.

Are you treating at all for bacterial with Maracyn or Kanaplex?

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

@nabokovfan87  Yes  this is really throwing me  for a loop .. No I do  not have any Epsom salt , but can get some,  I am leaving him  in the aquarium salt solution like the ACO Blog says to leave 5 days &  do a water change and repeat to next level if needed     but since I only added 2 tablespoons to start with I added 1/4 teaspoon more  salt  last night  It was his 2nd night in the soak  I am still waiting on the meds I ordered they said Kanaplex was going to be here today, but it did not come yet 

..  He did  move again  ... closer to his  cave again,   he did not go in, but better than not at all . His coloring looks  lots better today  ...  I do not see any sores around his mouth, it is just a  little swollen  and  just shaped different from normal  I have  tried to see  if there was blockage in his mouth area I did not see any unless it is real small  .. He is  even wagging  his tail  more today , and he acts like he tolerates me better  when I check on him.. He is acting ok  I think, except not moving or eating 

My friend went to town yesterday and I had her to get  Bug Bites food that is for small fish  it is like powder  more than pellet  I added that to tank hopefully he will eat it    He likes the medium size Bug Bites hopefully he will be able to eat the small size  

Like you said he might have hurt himself or something, I just wished I could do more for him, he  is my favorite even though I love all my fish 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

Sorry to see this @Bev C. Make one change at a time along with the salt and don't put too much food in as it will dirty the water and he needs pristine water. I know you want him to eat but be careful. @nabokovfan87asked about Epsom salts as they can help in some instances clear out the bowels. I had a long fin albino BN get caught in the string I used to tie down moss a few years back. It was awful. So I am pulling for you and Marvin. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:52 PM, Bev C said:

His coloring looks  lots better today  ...  I do not see any sores around his mouth, it is just a  little swollen  and  just shaped different from normal  I have  tried to see  if there was blockage in his mouth area I did not see any unless it is real small  .. He is  even wagging  his tail  more today , and he acts like he tolerates me better  when I check on him.. He is acting ok  I think, except not moving or eating 

Might have been the same thing as what happened with ladybird.  Cory took about a week to treat with meds and stuff. I would try to check, low stress of course, but just make sure you don't see anything that is stuck in the fish's mouth and continuing to cause damage.  Maybe if you put him in a specimen container or something clear (glass dish) you can see his mouth more clearly and take some video / photos.

• Like 2

Thank you @nabokovfan87 and @Beardedbillygoat1975 for being so kind and very helpful  I do not have any string in the  tank though I use superglue when needed  I learn to try one thing a time  in fish and plant  keeping  I am not  over feeding him just trying to see what works  I'm not keeping food  in the tank except the Bug Bites ...  he has always  liked algae ,  vegetables and the wafer  more than flake or pellets  ,,, he is in a 20 gallon QT by himself. Trying to keep him chilled  for a pelco 

I did put his cave in there with some  water wisteria he likes to hide  in it, I  did remove the plant before adding the salt. though. I might finish the salt treatment  since he has been in there  for 3 days and change the water before starting the  meds when they get here

That is good to know about Epsom salts helpswith  their bowels   for now and later on use .. This is my first time having a sick fish, except for a goldfish with ick 

Edited by Bev C

Update Sunday 7-31-2022

Hi everyone,  Marvin is doing a little better, but still   he not himself, I did the salt & Kanaplex  treatments   and in the process of The ickX.  The salt and Kanaplex   helped a little, but I really think he is more hurt than sick, But I am still doing the meds just in case  ,,, and I really think his spots are from  past stress

His coloring is lots better it is back to the normal color, and  he does not have as many spots now  he is still not moving much around the tank or,  hanging on the wall   He is still staying on the bottom, but he has moved,  he is going in his cave now moving around in that corner of the tank. And I have seen him eat the  very small powered fine pellets of the  Bug Bites, that is made for small fish that is way better than him not eating anything ... he is still not eating the wafers  or vegetables, but I put a piece of zucchini close to his cave just in case he wants it.

Since  he has been like this for a 2-3 weeks now, Not sure what to do next

if he stays this way I do not want him in pain or anything  But I could turn my 20gallon  QT tank into his home If he is not moving much & if he  does not get better  if he gets better I will move him back to the  main tank  he could have a house to himself  I do not want the other fish mistreat him  I might move  plants back in  he likes water wisteria & maybe put a snail in there, so  he is not lonely in the 20 gallon   he gets along with my mystery snails.  I might have to get a Rubbermaid tote for an emergency quarantine tank. Since he is using the current one ,,,   

(any advice what to do next is very welcomed)I feel like a bad fish Mom I do not want  him to suffer, but    I do not want to let him go. either ..  I am  attached to the little Marvin 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, Bev C said:

His coloring is lots better it is back to the normal color, and  he does not have as many spots now  he is still not moving much around the tank or,  hanging on the wall   He is still staying on the bottom, but he has moved,  he is going in his cave now moving around in that corner of the tank. And I have seen him eat the  very small powered fine pellets of the  Bug Bites, that is made for small fish that is way better than him not eating anything ... he is still not eating the wafers  or vegetables, but I put a piece of zucchini close to his cave just in case he wants it.

Good to hear some sort of progress in the right direction.  Since it's some form of injury to his mouth it's very likely that he won't be able to attach to glass and sucker normally for a little while. 

It seems like he tried to eat something or latch on something that caused an injury.  Do you have wood in the tank, any splinters or sharp points possibly?  Rocks that have somewhat sharp edges?  Plecos easily get stunned or scared and they bolt into things pretty often.  It's probably one of the easiest ways they do get injured.  Something comes into the room and creates a shadow or when the lights come on suddenly, etc.  If we can rule out metal, glass, etc. the only thing I would be concerned with is if you see anything in the wound itself still (might be able to get it out with tweezers) or if you see that it's clear and healing.  If it's in his mouth, much harder to tell, unfortunately.

If you can please feel free to try to take a video or photos of the affected area.  Time and progress, healing, that's all were waiting for right now it looks like. 

• Like 1

Thanks @nabokovfan87I can be very patient with him, I just hope he heals, where he can enjoy being a fish again  I think it is best to keep him away from the other fish  I swear I do not see  a wound or anything stuck in his mouth and mouth area, his looks better too...  And he is not acting sick, just not active. Each day his attitude  is better he is waging his tail more when he sees me, or when  I  try to feed him, and he does not act like he minds being away from the other fish, but he acts like he misses the mystery snails though   he likes the gold one allot  

I do have 1-2 dragon rook, but he likes to hang on or in his  cave  he likes  to lay on top of it( I tell him he is sun bathing when he is on top of the cave) (Yes I talk to my fish)    He also likes to hang  on  the Pathos plant planter and my large ACO sponge filter or in the Water Wisteria 

I do have 2  wood pieces one small &  one larger the small one   lays in the  sand  flat, but it is round &  smooth no sharp ends I have it there he does eat on it    and the other wood piece is   in front of the tank it  is a little larger  a tree stump  that has small limbs.. But I have never seen on it or near the big stump , since it is in the front  he stays hidden in the back of the tank unless it food time. But maybe he hurt himself  at night, without me knowing of it ...  I did move his pelco  cave toward the front of the tank, while he  has been ill ...  So I can keep an eye on him better.  He loves his cave. 

Edited by Bev C

On 7/31/2022 at 4:25 PM, Bev C said:

but he likes to hang on or in his  cave  he likes  to lay on top of it( I tell him he is sun bathing when he is on top of the cave) (Yes I talk to my fish)   

Don't we all!?  My plecos did that a lot.  Hide in the cave when someone walks up, but on the cave and don't move to rest in the flow and just relax2

On 7/31/2022 at 4:25 PM, Bev C said:

But I have never seen on it or near the big stump , since it is in the front  he stays hidden in the back of the tank unless it food time. But maybe he hurt himself  at night, without me knowing of it ...  I did move his pleco cave toward the front of the tank, while he  has been ill ...  So I can keep an eye on him better.  He loves his cave. 

Yeah, they tend to!  It's good that you're able to keep an eye on him so well.

Update August 2, 2022 

Marvin is gone to fish heaven ,,,

It is Tuesday 3:45 I just got home I woke up this Morning and Marvin looked worse,around his belly  so  I took Marvin to the fish store  to have them look at him to see if they could help … I have been going to them for 15 years, and they help me set up my tanks .   My fish store is 1-2 hours away...  He was very easy  to catch,  I took  him in a cooler with fish tank water a battery operated air pump and stone  ...  We made a special trip to town just for Marvin  

The said  he did not have anything  stuck in his mouth  or  have ick  or any infections they said  it looked like he was hurt in 2 places his mouth and middle  & they said how he was holding his body and top fin  that he was hurt, to  and his middle was starting to bloated,  but his color was normal, and they said they did not think he would get better but worse  and if he lived he would not have a normal life  I ask them  what they would do. And they said they have seen this before. And they said they thought euthanize was the best for him  .  I told them I did not have the heart to do it, and they offered . To do it for me  ..

I told them  to give me a few minutes. I went outside the parking lot and cried in the car   and had to make a decision to think of him first I know he is a bristolnose   fish, but he was my baby  ,,, I decided to put  him to sleep  I did not want him to suffer and bless their hearts  Dylan took real good care of him and tried to make  less stressful for  Marvin and me  they used  Clove Oil.   I know it was for the best, but I still feel like a bad   Mom, but I know I tried my best for him while I had him  ..   I am even  crying typing this message  

I want to thank everyone  specially @nabokovfan87 @Beardedbillygoat1975 @Colu for all the help and concern,  I appreciate it  Thank you 

Edited by Bev C
  • Sad 2

Cherish and focus on the good moments @Bev C

My condolences.  I think Marvin would express to you if possible, it was an accident and these things happen.  You did everything you could for him and more.

I am thankful he isn't in any more pain.  I know what you're going through and it's never easy and never should be.

Thank you @nabokovfan87 and @Colu  @Beardedbillygoat1975 I am not sure how he got hurt, and I tried everything, but I did not want him to suffer  and even though I would house him by himself if need to ... he would not be happy alone   I just couldn't  be selfish for my sake, and it was not a easy decision  .. I  love the bristolnose  pelco  fish, and they will always be one of  my  favorite fish  I have had 2  I  & the BN is the only fish I name  in my tanks ... except for my first goldfish   ,,,