Is this tourist treasure aquarium safe?

jamieterrin

On 7/21/2022 at 7:43 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Disappointed I can't see an image of the find.

You can see what happens when it's submerged you can't been sure of leaching if but paints or coating coming off are an obvious no.

Of course no paint or varnish, but many are made of plaster type stuff that looks nice and rough for bio film to grow 

IMG_20220722_085303547.jpg

On 7/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, jamieterrin said:

Of course no paint or varnish, but many are made of plaster type stuff that looks nice and rough for bio film to grow 

As @Gwallace said it is "trial by fire".  If the treasure looks and feels like a resin product, it is probably safe.  Keep it in a bowl of water for a week or two, and see if anything changes.  I kept an alligator in the aquarium for years. It felt like plaster, but never broke down or caused problems.  I have no idea what the composition was/is, but the kids liked it.

• Thanks 1

There was mention in a live stream awhile back about conditioning garden ornaments by soaking them (someone suggested keeping them in the toilet cistern if that helps ring bells for people to find a link).

You have to soak things for a long time (think in weeks not days)

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, jamieterrin said:

I have this same thing ingot in Mexico in my tank. I just put it in there 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, FLFishChik said:

So I have seen where others have used a product called Plasti Dip to seal items to make them safe for an Aquarium. Might be something to look into if you’re really wanting to add it to your tank but are unsure of what it’s made of. 

There's an idea, i could paint anything in resin..

How many layers to seal varnish?

On 7/22/2022 at 11:29 PM, Brandon p said:

I have this same thing ingot in Mexico in my tank. I just put it in there 

Yeah? Photo?

So looking forward to having blue dreams climbing the steps 😂

On 7/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, jamieterrin said:

There's an idea, i could paint anything in resin..

How many layers to seal varnish?

I believe you just have to make very certain that you’ve covered every tiny crack and crevice to make sure nothing can leech into the water column

On 7/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, Flumpweesel said:

There was mention in a live stream awhile back about conditioning garden ornaments by soaking them (someone suggested keeping them in the toilet cistern if that helps ring bells for people to find a link).

You have to soak things for a long time (think in weeks not days)

I'm sure it's a common question, did Cory only get fish in Peru?

On 7/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, FLFishChik said:

I believe you just have to make very certain that you’ve covered every tiny crack and crevice to make sure nothing can leech into the water column

Yeah i think 4 layers should be enough i think you even get liquid silicone these days.

It would reduce the surface for biofilm but you should be able to make it even air tight with enough layers..

I'll still try to get plaster/ rock /clay or maybe bone/shell

Edited by jamieterrin