Amazon Sword (New) Brown Leaf Tips

This Amazon Sword was delivered the first of the week from Aquarium Co Op.  I trimmed some wilted leaves off and placed it in my aquarium.  The tips of the leaves started turning brown.

I'm dosing the tank per instructions with Easy Green and Easy Green Root tabs.

Substrate is black inert sand (blasting sand) but fortified with the root tabs.  It is about 3 inches deep.  

No ammonia.  Hardness is about 2 - 4 dKH and dGH

Any idea what is going on with it?

image.jpeg

Edited by ScottW

If they were grown above water those leaves cannot survive underwater. The ones I get always are grown above water. I would need to see the stems from leaf to where they connect at the base to know.  It will grow new leaves with a more oval shape that goes to the base grown submerged. Above water it looks like a stem with a leaf on top. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

Definitely a stem from the root ball to the leaf.  Overall plant is about 8 inches tall.  The "leaf" doesn't start until about 2 inches above the root ball.  

So I can expect the leaves to die off and new ones come up from the root mass?

I have not had one in many many years.  But that is in 4 inches of flourite and peace river gravel in a 75 gallon tank.  There is 5 inches between the root ball and the back of the tank and plenty of room horizontally before any potential obstructions.  The grown in front is Dwarf Sag grass so shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

It was called a pink miracle. I got a bunch from aquarium plants factory on eBay. I can’t remember the science name.  Of course I can’t…I’m me 🤣

I have some red melon swords but I can only grow them in bright light. The window grows them great. I want to add red but my green”red” thin is not great. I like the red melons but the light is so much. I have gotten plants from there. 

On 7/21/2022 at 12:14 PM, ScottW said:

I have not had one in many many years.  But that is in 4 inches of flourite and peace river gravel in a 75 gallon tank.  There is 5 inches between the root ball and the back of the tank and plenty of room horizontally before any potential obstructions.  The grown in front is Dwarf Sag grass so shouldn't be an issue.

I was wondering if you knew what to expect. Fat wide leaves and lots of roots. Some triming because the will grow fast. Bigg root systems. Makes them good hardy plants that are hard to kill. The only way I have killed them is not putting root tabs in. I have a lot because the grow in the light used40!years ago and still go good to day. I hope you like them. The should get nicer, hope you enjoy 

ROOT TABS