Potential Fin Rot

Zac

Hey all,

I just received some guppies yesterday and I’m suspecting potential fin rot on one. I have 2 females and 1 male. Normally when I receive fish in the mail they’re swimming around and aren’t super skittish. These guys have been hiding non stop and show almost no interest in food. The male nibbled at a flake when the lights went off, spit it out, went to chase it, then swam back to the surface. The females show no interest in food. I’m not seeing any visible fungus on the male but his tail seems jagged and there is a piece missing. It may have just been the way he was born though. I have some Kanaplex in case I need to treat but I’d like some more opinions before I treat anything. Attached are images of the male

53B5D984-8A51-428A-8303-84DDA38A3585.jpeg

D17405FC-AAC2-464E-A339-1F69A4969CEB.jpeg

Hi Zac, 

It is hard to see the tail clearly enough to give you any feedback. I would probably dim your lights for a few days, and keep and eye on it. Can you contact the seller and find out what they were feeding them and the water parameters they were living in? This might help them transition to your aquarium. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:30 AM, Shaun said:

Hi Zac, 

It is hard to see the tail clearly enough to give you any feedback. I would probably dim your lights for a few days, and keep and eye on it. Can you contact the seller and find out what they were feeding them and the water parameters they were living in? This might help them transition to your aquarium. 

Luckily I’ve gotten two of them to eat. The male and one female. They had softer water than me and a slightly higher pH but nothing crazy. The male is still acting strange even though he is eating. He’ll come out to eat then just go sit in a plant. It almost looks like he’s resting on it. I’m hoping he’s just adjusting because he is improving. I’ll see him swimming around a bit with the females when the lights go out. Not as high of energy as a stress free guppy but he’s definitely getting better I’d say. I’ll just have to keep an eye on the tail just in case 

Edited by Zac