Plant cycling - Added extra dose of Easy Green and got Brown Diatom Algae

Hi all - so I'm about 2 weeks into new tank cycling (just plants), and decided to do an extra dose of EG to bring my Nitrates up into the 20s. While that worked, the next day I woke up to brown algae. I know phosphates can cause this, which EG has - so maybe that did it, or maybe I would've gotten the stuff eventually as I understand this is part of new tank syndrome.

It's not terrible, just settling on decor/heater/etc and my live plants. I've been gently wiping the plants off where I can (can't really on things like a monte carlo) and dislodging so my sponge filter can pick it up. 

I've cut back the lighting from 8 hours to 6, with a siesta. I have more plants coming tomorrow, as some of my initial plants died back (roots rotted, and I just needed/wanted more to fill out the tank). I've removed the dead/dying stuff. The stem plants I snipped the dead/dying stuff off and have floated what was alive. More plants are showing up tomorrow - which I've heard may help the situation. I'd love to bring an algae eater of sorts in - but my Nitrites have been hovering around 1 so the tank isn't cycled, nor do I expect it to be for awhile. Kinda of a shame because I have some really tasty bio film on my driftwood.

Question: do you think I should do a partial water change before the new plants arrive, or just let it ride? 

I'd let it ride. The nitrites are a good sign; it means you already have the bacteria that's eating the ammonia.  Brown diatoms are common in a new tank.  If you start seeing algae, it's great!  It means your tank is alive and things are starting to thrive.  You can cut back on the diatoms by reducing the light as you suggested, and your new plants may not be rooted/established enough to take up all the nutrients, which may have encourage diatom growth.

Also forgot to mention, plants like to consume ammonia & nitrites, as well as nitrates.

• Like 2

You are going to see several types of algae while the tank cycles. To minimize the amount, I'd drop dosing to hit 12 to 16ppm NO3 as proxy from Easy Green. I would have a consistent water change cycle to minimize ammonia. Each water change should come with a dose of EG right after.

You want to minimize ammonia while still feeding Macros and Micros to your target.

• Like 1

I am also currently cycling a planted tank (first time with plants) I am a few weeks ahead of you I think. I had some diatom algae after about 2 weeks. Now (4th week) the diatoms have died back (just a light film). My nitrites are low and my nitrates are ~25. I am dosing with EG, have EG tabs and I dosed lightly with Equilibrium (soft water). I think what finally happened is my plants finally adjusted and started to utilize the nutrients more efficiently, out competing the diatoms. I have some growth in my plants as well. Gonna do a 50% water change this week and add some Fritz 7 bacteria to the tank in hopes I maybe able to lightly stock in a week. I have a small herd of baby mystery snails in there (babies from my other tank). They are doing very well and starting to look like peas, I think that their waste maybe starting to contribute a small bit to my cycle. 

Question: If I use Fritz WC in neutralizes nitrates. So do I wait a day before adding Fert? 

Great start to your tank. As Cory states algae is a good thing, it means the tank is no longer sterile 🙂

Edited by CKetchum
  • Like 2