Rainbowfish death and cloudy water

So recently, I purchased 6 Celebes raindowfish from a fish store near me, and put them in my 29 gallon, which has been running for about a year. 

About a week before I got the rainbowfish, I noticed lots of mulm buildup on my substrate, so I did a major gravel vac. About a day after, I noticed the water was very cloudy, and did a few water changes. However, the water was still cloudy, so I left it there to settle. I tested the water when it got all cloudy, and it read:

0 ammonia 

0 nitrate

0  nitrite

No chlorine 

And my usual liquid rock water

When I first introduced the fish, they were fine for a few days until one of them died. However, this one was a bit deformed, smaller than the others and never schooled with the rest of them, so I wrote it off as just that fish not being built good. 

Then, they stayed good until tonight when I got home from work. One of them had died. I checked on the other fish, and it appeared that a few of them had torn up fins. At this point, I had never seen any fin nipping among them. (The photos shown are of the nipped fins, but due to my water quality, you can’t see them that well). I am starting to believe that the cloudiness could be caused by a bacterial bloom when I stirred up the mulm, and that could be contributing to the deaths & fin tears. Are my assumptions right? Is there a way to make the water less cloudy?

F015ECAD-E259-492E-944A-56674593A5C3.jpeg

BED52C46-C45C-4F44-B84B-B1A2A9C1CB2B.jpeg

If it is actually a bacteria bloom that could indicate you crashed your cycle. I apologize if I'm not reading it right but was those test results before you got the fish?  One possible scenario is the cycle crashed and then the introduction of the fish caused an ammonia spike. 

Another possibility is this is an algae bloom. Tbh, the fact that it's stuck around for awhile and the pictures appear to be green rather than white I tend to think this is what the cloudiness is. Here are 2 articles that address green water algae. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/cloudy-fish-tank

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-algae

I apologize that I don't know enough to know if this could be the cause of the deaths. I tend to think no but I feel there are others on the forum more qualified than myself on that. Hopefully they chime in. 

On 7/19/2022 at 10:18 PM, face said:

what colour is the cloud is it white or green? and how long have you had 0 nitrate for? 

The water appears more green near my plants, but more white away from the plants.

I have had 0 nitrate for a while. It’s been a few months since this tank has had long term inhabitants.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:25 PM, Cinnebuns said:

If it is actually a bacteria bloom that could indicate you crashed your cycle. I apologize if I'm not reading it right but was those test results before you got the fish?  One possible scenario is the cycle crashed and then the introduction of the fish caused an ammonia spike. 

Another possibility is this is an algae bloom. Tbh, the fact that it's stuck around for awhile and the pictures appear to be green rather than white I tend to think this is what the cloudiness is. Here are 2 articles that address green water algae. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/cloudy-fish-tank

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-algae

I apologize that I don't know enough to know if this could be the cause of the deaths. I tend to think no but I feel there are others on the forum more qualified than myself on that. Hopefully they chime in. 

The test results are from before the fish, and the recent test results aren’t too different. From the articles, it is either Bacterial or algal, I can’t tell. I’ll get a UV sterilizer, and see if that helps.