Should I build a canopy and are they worth it?

I like the look and your work is very good. When I have had them it was a plain for maintenance. That said they were commercial and not really designed with that in mind. I would say go for it. There are some good woodworkers here than make have some experience and that will help with design ideas. I have seen some amazing ideas and when finished it’s amazing. If you have a plan and are confident with go. If you are open to ideas hopefully you will get some good input. The only other advice make sure you have room to work and I like the ones that are a little bigger and the front opens and has the hydraulic piston to hold it open. Looks great so far post when you finish the stand.

• Thanks 1

They are strictly for looks. But, I enjoy them a lot. They make an aquarium look 'complete' IMO. 

If you're doing something other than feeding, and you need additional room, you can always take it off, and then put it back on when you're done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I would put a canopy on my tanks.  They look annoying to deal with.  In addition I don't mind and others that view the aquarium don't mind seeing the whole aquarium.  However if others care about the looks of may be worth it for you. 

• Thanks 1

I use homemade canopies on all of my tanks as I like to give the fish "jumping room." By enclosing the top of the tank with a canopy and putting the glass well above the waterline, the fish gain lots of jumping space. I just open the front door and there's the water with nothing between me and it. The glass and lights are above the opening. You can make the front door as big or little as you want. I make mine out of the PVC boards which never rot or decay. Making one like that out of wood is trickier as wood will rot and decay unless thoroughly sealed. I'll toss a photo or two below of mine. I've lost a few fish in the past that jumped against a glass lid and injured/killed themselves, so now I give my fish jumping room.

IMG_20201123_075611283.jpg

IMG_20201123_075621259_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:30 PM, Brandon p said:

@Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics I’m interested in what you first thought. When you saw them did you think that it look good or did not like it. I am putting one on the 200gallon when I redo the stand. I think it makes them look complete. Now on the rest of the tanks to much work. 

I personally think they look pretty nice when you don’t have a lot of handles and hardware showing but I also like the look of tank without one so I’m still deciding on what I should do.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:13 PM, bryanisag said:

Wait show us the inside of your stand. How'd you make it? Looks great from what I see

It’s made for an outside look so it’s not pretty inside but here you go.image.jpg.f26430b944b44a743810fae85e545d6e.jpg

also here’s a picture of what the stand looked as just the frame before I put the outside on.8E421365-DD90-4E8A-AE31-CB91670A09D8.jpeg.21fd943930f0853551b72540e73efe87.jpeg

• Like 3

I had one on my 40 breeder and got rid of it. Way to much trouble when I wanted to work on my tank. Sure, I can take it off but then I risk an accident every time I go to put it back in place. Mine came with the tank, bought it used, and it looked great but it was also kind of heavy. That guy, Murphy aka Murphy’s Law, hangs around me to much for me to risk dealing with a heavy hood. 
That’s just my opinion for me. This is your tank and hobby so do what makes you happy. Your stand looks great, can’t wait to see your finished project!

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:11 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I personally think they look pretty nice when you don’t have a lot of handles and hardware showing but I also like the look of tank without one so I’m still deciding on what I should do.

It’s made for an outside look so it’s not pretty inside but here you go.image.jpg.f26430b944b44a743810fae85e545d6e.jpg

also here’s a picture of what the stand looked as just the frame before I put the outside on.8E421365-DD90-4E8A-AE31-CB91670A09D8.jpeg.21fd943930f0853551b72540e73efe87.jpeg

my kind of carpentry. i built the stand for my 55, and it looks nice on the outside, on the inside its all business.

• Like 1

@Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics it depends on how good beyoubare  my 200g the stand has no outside hardware you push and it pops open. If you decide you what one, make a new post and just ask for ideas on building the best canopy with no showing hardware. You will get some good ideas. I’m sure you tube has ideas if you have time. But if you like them people will help get you what you want.  

• Like 1

I made a canopy for my 20 long when I first set it up, and ended up taking it off pretty quickly. It made the tank look like a little viewing slit on a large slab. However, with the light hanging over my 40B I've been getting fed up with the glare. I plan to build some kind of lampshade to reduce glare without going full canopy.

I really like your stand btw, it doesn't look heavy but when you open the doors it's got the beef!

• Thanks 1

I have always thought that tall or ornate hoods detract from the overall appearance of the aquarium. They also make maintenance more difficult than it needs to be.  A simple low profile (4") hood, hinged on top would be my choice if I were to build one.

• Like 1

I've built them for all my display tanks. I like them for keeping the lights off the glass hinged lids and thus allowing me to keep a light over the front glass where fish are usually in a shadow. Also for blocking light spillage into the room. They can help to keep heat in too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1