How to not kill your fish

sebastian Legge

1. Overstocking. For every gallon of water in a tank with a filter, you can keep 1 inch of slim-bodied fish or ½ inch of fat-bodied or deep-bodied fish.

2. Overfeeding. Feed fish what they can eat in 2 minutes, maximum.

3. Overcleaning. Change 10 percent of the water once a week, or 25 percent once a month.

My "Guppy Hut" a 29 gallon tank has (at any given time) nearly 300 fish (including fry).  Also has a load of red cherry shrimp, snails, 5 aldofoi cory cats, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco.

#1 is a safe number for someone new to the hobby, as they grow in the hobby the will discover it is not etched in stone.

guppy_hut.jpg.374414d74b56ac04666f66f9720f03ab.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

My "Guppy Hut" a 29 gallon tank has (at any given time) nearly 300 fish (including fry).  Also has a load of red cherry shrimp, snails, 5 aldofoi cory cats, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco.

#1 is a safe number for someone new to the hobby, as they grow in the hobby the will discover it is not etched in stone.

guppy_hut.jpg.374414d74b56ac04666f66f9720f03ab.jpg

Awesome! Been wanting to set up a crazy guppy tank like that.

6 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

It's an O-Nip.  I hear folks having problems with the new formula, I'm not sure if these are new or old.  They do look different than the previous batch I had.

It looks a lot different than the ones I have.  Maybe I'll look into them again.  I love your guppies... that is my dream tank! 🙂

25 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It looks a lot different than the ones I have.  Maybe I'll look into them again.  I love your guppies... that is my dream tank! 🙂

Cory has mentioned in one of his live streams that Sera changed the formula. His opinion of the change was negative and he even did a test at one point comparing the 2. The old formula performed significantly better as far as clouding up the water less and fish seemed to prefer the taste

Edited by JaredL
  • Like 1

Great topic for sure, it is always best to make sure water is good and in a seasoned tank (6+ months) some tanks take care of themselves (to a point) I have about 50+ tanks mostly guppies some of those tanks are heavily stocked with 90+ fish, on those tanks I do weekly or more frequently depending on water quality.

I do like Sera O Nip tabs the new formula is ok, not as good but still a good food, but not the same for us filming/photographing our fish.

Thank you all for the forum posts!

I have a tank full of Endlers that some would look at and think that it is the dirtiest worst tank in my fishroom.  Mulm is collected and built up, the water is turning green but the floating plants are thriving!  I have found that a good balance between waste removal and feeding is a key part for me keeping healthy fish.  I want the fish to feed on a good food but I also want the plants to thrive off of the nitrates coming in.  Overstocking is a hot topic for sure but I think that comes down to water quality and quality of food going in.  Quality of food going in will for sure affect water quality in my opinion.