Smartphone Ideas

If you need simple upgrades for a smart phone, but lets be honest most phones now do not need upgrades.  Saying that check out the company, Moment.  They are a company based around simple and budget upgrades for video quality.  That is how I started my channel was with their wide lens and my phone.  Increased my video quality dramatically, but that was 3 years ago before phones with three cameras.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wel-Don Tanks said:

If you need simple upgrades for a smart phone, but lets be honest most phones now do not need upgrades.  Saying that check out the company, Moment.  They are a company based around simple and budget upgrades for video quality.  That is how I started my channel was with their wide lens and my phone.  Increased my video quality dramatically, but that was 3 years ago before phones with three cameras.

Moment lenses on an older phone will shoot better photos and videos than the newest phone without a moment lens.

3 hours ago, Wel-Don Tanks said:

but lets be honest most phones now do not need upgrades

My phone is a few years old and was on the cheap end when it came out.  It's not working very well these days, so it needs an upgrade in that regard.  If you're referring to the camera end, then I get you.  I will check out the Method stuff though.

Unrelated, I used to do a ton of business with a man from Utah in the fence industry.  Any chance you have a crazy uncle Mark?

1 hour ago, Rich B said:

Doesn't anyone use just plain cameras anymore lol. I mean like the old school ones that didn't have a cell phone with it. 

I have a Nikon D3300, cheaper DSLR we bought just for pics of the family and for some side business we do.  Specs as follows...

24.2 MP CMOS DX-format sensor
5 frames per second continuous shooting
Ultra-compact 3x zoom lens made exclusively for use with Nikon Digital SLR models
1080 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps) HD video (MPEG-4/H.264/MOV)
18-55mm lens with f3.5-5.6 maximum aperture for Nikon DSLR cameras

It definitely takes decent photos.  I've never messed around with video much.  I'm sure I could put it to use, maybe with a lens upgrade.  Just thinking the phone is incredibly convenient and always with me so it would be handy to get something that works well on the fly as a backup of sorts or when I'm not looking for prime pics/footage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wel-Don Tanks said:

lets be honest most phones now do not need upgrades

I work in IT, and still rocking my iPhone 7. I was tempted by this year's iphone pro model, which is the first time since I got this one that I've been tempted to upgrade. Ultimately, I decided that this year being a redesign year and the first year Apple's putting the 5G radios in, that I'd wait one more and let everyone else beta test for me and pick up the "12s" next year.

I have a Pixel 3 and am a huge fan. Love the camera on it...in fact, on a recent backpacking trip, I brought my panasonic g85 (micro 4/3rds system) and my phone - I actually ended up using the phone wayyy more just because it was more accessible and easy to use in a pinch, and I actually liked a lot of the phone photos better, believe it or not.

If you want better battery life, definitely go for the xl version! Videoing and such is a huge energy suck and if you're using it to film content, you want to have enough juice 😄

And remember that with good lighting, you can make almost any newer smartphone camera look great.

Just my two cents!

On 10/22/2020 at 12:30 PM, Wel-Don Tanks said:

Saying that check out the company, Moment.  They are a company based around simple and budget upgrades for video quality.  That is how I started my channel was with their wide lens and my phone.

+1 for Moment lenses. I have the 18mm wide and the 58mm telephoto and it's great to have the flexibility and creativity to change the framing of the shot.

Anyone use one of those gimbals? Moment sells one that looks nice, but plenty of others on the market as well in the $80-100 range. I just wonder if they make any difference for filming something like an aquarium. Phones have decent image stabilization nowadays, but I could see the value in one for high-action stuff.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:58 PM, Rich B said:

Doesn't anyone use just plain cameras anymore lol. I mean like the old school ones that didn't have a cell phone with it. 

I sometimes use my Pentax K1000 as a reference for fstop and shutter speed when I use the manual setting on my Nikon D3100. I took a photography class in college with the Pentax in 2007 and was the only person using a 35mm. I feel like I got so much more out of it than my classmates. I kept a log of the settings for each picture and would sometimes burn through a whole roll of film for just one project because I would never know how the film would develop until after getting the prints back. Fortunately or unfortunately, I feel like my cellphone is capable of quality photos in the majority of situations and hardly feel the need to take my DSLR or SLR with me anymore. Not to mention the ease of sharing and printing with a cellphone. I don't know if it's the glass or the film, but the photos I took with the Pentax definitely have a more authentic and natural aesthetic than any digital photo, or maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

Anyone use one of those gimbals? Moment sells one that looks nice, but plenty of others on the market as well in the $80-100 range. I just wonder if they make any difference for filming something like an aquarium. Phones have decent image stabilization nowadays, but I could see the value in one for high-action stuff.

I have had 3 over the years. They work great, but I never end up using them. I can't really see one for aquarium work.