Feeding Nerite Snails?

FLFishChik

Do you know what type of nerite you have? Traditional wisdom is that nerites won't eat supplemental food, and that holds true for my black racers, but my zebra nerite will. 

I've fed my snails green beans, carrots, sweet potato, algae wafers, crayfish empire snail pellets, and repashy. I'm mainly trying to feed my mystery snails, not my nerites, so I try to keep some veggies in the tank all the time and put in a wafer or pellet as well most days.

@Guppysnail also feeds zucchini and I'm not sure what else.

• Like 1

I have had almost every type of nerite snails and almost all of them exclusively eat algae. Very rarely I will see them eating the blanched veggies I throw into the tank for the others but it isn't something I would target feed them at all. 

My zebra love veggies. My tigers limited on veggies but will snack. Any steamed veggie I put in they have nommed. My olives won’t touch veggies. Neither will my one black racer. Green beans are a house favorite steamed and opened with the meat exposed. 

I have never found even an herbivore commercial food any of them will touch unless it’s repashy soilent green smeared on a rock. I try to grow algae rocks for them. You can find how to’s on the web. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:20 PM, Katherine said:

Do you know what type of nerite you have? Traditional wisdom is that nerites won't eat supplemental food, and that holds true for my black racers, but my zebra nerite will. 

I've fed my snails green beans, carrots, sweet potato, algae wafers, crayfish empire snail pellets, and repashy. I'm mainly trying to feed my mystery snails, not my nerites, so I try to keep some veggies in the tank all the time and put in a wafer or pellet as well most days.

@Guppysnail also feeds zucchini and I'm not sure what else.

I’ve got 3 Zebras and 2 Red spotted 

On 7/19/2022 at 4:34 AM, Melkor said:

I have heard of people leaving jars of water in the sun. The algae coats the glass. Set jar in tank for nerites. Though if it goes green water I wouldn't put it in your tank.

Why not?  If you look at green water under a microscope it is teaming with life. Fry food 😁. It’s not harmful if your not dumping in gobs. If you are still worried just rinse it under running tap water. I use a pipette to feed the green water to my tiny fry. 

edit I actually put a river rock in the glass. I swap out the one in the tank for the one in the bowl. 

Edited by Guppysnail