Big bubbles escaping sponge fikter

Kathen

Hi! I just installed an Aquarium Coop nano sponge filter and air stone using the nano pump and i have large bubbles coming through the sponge in addition to the small bubbles coming through the output tube. Any advice on why this is happening? 

The air line could be too long or curved that is connecting the air stone.  Try shortening or straightening it that will keep bubbles from coming out of sponge.  As far as big ones coming up the tube, I would say the airline connecting the air stone isn't fully connected.  It has happened to me before.  One of my sponge filters still has a random bubble come out of the side every now and then, but not frequently at all

On 7/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, Kathen said:

Hi! I just installed an Aquarium Coop nano sponge filter and air stone using the nano pump and i have large bubbles coming through the sponge in addition to the small bubbles coming through the output tube. Any advice on why this is happening? 

This has been a pretty constant thing for me with the ACO sponges.  My guess, is that because the foam is coarse, it's a bit easier for bubbles to build up underneath the air inlet / cap and then they seep out at a specific rate.  On every filter I've setup, I've had that happen.  I have cut the air hose to it's minimum, adjusted it 5-10x and it's still just that same thing.  At this point, I just live with it.  That being said, here is the video where it was discussed as well as a few adjustments to tweak it so it happens less often or not at all.

The tank I have setup now is as such there is no substrate. It's barebottom, the filters are setup per the video, I still have the big bubbles.

• Thanks 1

Yeah this happens to mine as well.  Big bubbles just come out through the sponge (I.e. not up the tube) Was a little bummed at first and tried a few different things to fix it but nothing helped.  

I just moved on and don’t notice it that much anymore.  If anyone has a hack for fixing this it would be greatly appreciated though.

If you can plan the place to put them in your design so you have a flat spot. Adding an air stone can help. If you have Donne the first two turn down the air. People often run them without a valve. Turn the air down some. It doesn’t take much air to make the work properly. If there are bubbles popping at the top and your lid or light gets wet it’s running to much air.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:05 AM, Brandon p said:

If you can plan the place to put them in your design so you have a flat spot. Adding an air stone can help. If you have Donne the first two turn down the air. People often run them without a valve. Turn the air down some. It doesn’t take much air to make the work properly. If there are bubbles popping at the top and your lid or light gets wet it’s running to much air.

Have it in a flat spot and when I throttled it down enough to keep the bubbles from creeping the airstone started squealing.  I just got some ACO airline tubing in and think I’ll try replacing the connection inside to that.  Last thing to try 😆

still my favorite sponge filter!

• Like 1