Fish suggestions

dan12boy

I would like some different uncommon fish for my 75 gallon tank but it’d have to be nano. My current plan for the tank is 2 honey gourami, 6 kuhli loaches, 15 Pygmy cories, 6-8 getrudae rainbowfish, 4 female guppies, a hill stream loach, I wanted a bristle nose pleco but I’m not so sure anymore. I like cpds but feel like they may be too active, then again most of my fish aren’t exactly sluggish anyways. Rummynose tetras were also on the table because of their schooling behavior that I find cool.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:39 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Suggestions: - clown/rocket killifish,

-green kubotai rasboras,

-chili or phoenix rasboras,

-pencilfish

I have the clown killis but keep them in my 20 tall. I’ll add chilis to my list especially since I see them at my lfs sometimes. For pencilfish any specific species? Maybe the red ones ? Peacock gudgeons are something I’ve also thought about, also some dwarf cichlid like the checkerboard one.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

The red/beckford pencilfish are nice looking. I personally think the brown/diptail pencilfish are cool, but from what I understand they need tiny food that hangs in the water column for a while.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/pencilfish

That wouldn’t be a problem as long as it’s not  a need for live food only. The diptail does look super cool so I’ll add both that and the beckford to my options.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Can you post some advice here for these ones?

On 7/16/2022 at 9:17 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Yeah I was considering those too and seems he has a similar stocking to mine. Hmmm...

Made a reply!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 6:54 AM, Guppysnail said:

If you were thinking CPD(I adore mine) active but not in a way that is disruptive. But want less common look at Emerald dwarf rasbora..my current want but waiting for an open tank3959EAFE-892E-4DA7-83CC-E97D0FF9B568.jpeg.8d84d34cee18c62e0ef02a0711f1778a.jpeg

Are yours super duper active? Like would they be more active than my rainbowfish? I like the dwarf rasbora but find the cpds really pretty to watch.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:48 AM, dan12boy said:

Are yours super duper active? Like would they be more active than my rainbowfish? I like the dwarf rasbora but find the cpds really pretty to watch.

My dwarf rasboras are tee-tiny compared to everything else as they come so young from the store. Grown, they aren’t an immediate snack to most common fish but be prepared they might be when you first get them. 

My CPDs are active but not to a super high level. They are the smallest fish in the tank they are in, so they tend to be going in and out of the plants and concentrate in an area of cover (mine live behind/around my centerpiece decoration).  

On 7/16/2022 at 4:59 PM, dan12boy said:

I would like some different uncommon fish for my 75 gallon tank but it’d have to be nano. My current plan for the tank is 2 honey gourami, 6 kuhli loaches, 15 Pygmy cories, 6-8 getrudae rainbowfish, 4 female guppies, a hill stream loach, I wanted a bristle nose pleco but I’m not so sure anymore. I like cpds but feel like they may be too active, then again most of my fish aren’t exactly sluggish anyways. Rummynose tetras were also on the table because of their schooling behavior that I find cool.

My favorites are CPDs and clown killifish. You may also consider a large school of silver tip tetras…if you watch some of Cory’s store videos - they react as a school and follow your hand (very interactive). A 75 could definitely fit enough to get that behavior. 

On 7/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, dan12boy said:

Are yours super duper active? Like would they be more active than my rainbowfish?

I can’t really answer this because I do not have rainbows. Here is a video of each of the CPD tanks. One also housing Pygmy Cory so you can decide for yourself 

• Like 1

I had gertrudae rainbow fish when I was younger. They were quite active little guys. Eventually I remember them pairing off (I had 8 )and doing the breeding dance but I don’t remember anything coming of it. If you want true schoolers though they did not school for long. Granted as I speak I’m watching my white clouds hangout on their own so what even is a schooler with a lack of predators…

I digress, If you want hillstream loaches I’d keep your tank at around 72. Depending on where you live, I have found this to be attainable year round without a heater. 

If you want an oddball community tank I always recommend black darter tetra. A harem or two in a 75 would be quite cool, granted they do need live and frozen foods I have never seen them take to flakes. Which a quick price check is telling me I should stop recommending them… holy. 

• Like 1

Not a nano fish, but a calm and very cool oddball for that size tank could be glass cats. They school and look very cool. I also love the pencilfish suggestion made above, I kept a small number of them and was able to feed them flake just fine, although they did bully my neons a bit (could’ve just been the smaller tank size, probably too small, it was my first setup). Another suggestion would be axelrodi neon rasbora, sorta like a smaller neon tetra without the red. Maybe a goby if you have the flow for it. 

Rummynose will race back and forth constantly so if you want calm I would suggest against them. 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, ccc24 said:

My dwarf rasboras are tee-tiny compared to everything else as they come so young from the store. Grown, they aren’t an immediate snack to most common fish but be prepared they might be when you first get them. 

My CPDs are active but not to a super high level. They are the smallest fish in the tank they are in, so they tend to be going in and out of the plants and concentrate in an area of cover (mine live behind/around my centerpiece decoration).  

My favorites are CPDs and clown killifish. You may also consider a large school of silver tip tetras…if you watch some of Cory’s store videos - they react as a school and follow your hand (very interactive). A 75 could definitely fit enough to get that behavior. 

I’d rather put dwarf rasboras in my 20 tall as part of my shy guys tank with my clown killis, I’d go for the chilis, I’m not that like specific about the schooling, I’d even like some fish that just chill by themselves that don’t need schools like dwarf cichlids or like a peacock gudgeon.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I had gertrudae rainbow fish when I was younger. They were quite active little guys. Eventually I remember them pairing off (I had 8 )and doing the breeding dance but I don’t remember anything coming of it. If you want true schoolers though they did not school for long. Granted as I speak I’m watching my white clouds hangout on their own so what even is a schooler with a lack of predators…

I digress, If you want hillstream loaches I’d keep your tank at around 72. Depending on where you live, I have found this to be attainable year round without a heater. 

If you want an oddball community tank I always recommend black darter tetra. A harem or two in a 75 would be quite cool, granted they do need live and frozen foods I have never seen them take to flakes. Which a quick price check is telling me I should stop recommending them… holy. 

Did you put your getrudae in a breeding specific tank? I have them in my 20 tall and no they don’t school more like shoal. I have a hillstream loach in my 20 tall and it’s at 74-75, its has been doing well as far as I can tell. Might take the temp down to 73 but not sure yet. Do you mean the black neon tetra? But the live/frozen requirement does make them an iffy choice

On 7/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, Tayturs said:

Not a nano fish, but a calm and very cool oddball for that size tank could be glass cats. They school and look very cool. I also love the pencilfish suggestion made above, I kept a small number of them and was able to feed them flake just fine, although they did bully my neons a bit (could’ve just been the smaller tank size, probably too small, it was my first setup). Another suggestion would be axelrodi neon rasbora, sorta like a smaller neon tetra without the red. Maybe a goby if you have the flow for it. 

Rummynose will race back and forth constantly so if you want calm I would suggest against them. 

Glass cats do seem cool but I’m not that interested in them for some reason. What pencilfish species did you keep? My flow can’t be too strong because of Mr grumpy, my honey gourami, he prefers slower flow but my flow isn’t crazy slow though, it’s just more at the outlet of my filter and less elsewhere so he stays either in the water column or if he’s at the surface towards the inlet. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:35 AM, Guppysnail said:

I can’t really answer this because I do not have rainbows. Here is a video of each of the CPD tanks. One also housing Pygmy Cory so you can decide for yourself 

They look to be about regular activity level so definitely keeping them as options

On 7/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, dan12boy said:

Did you put your getrudae in a breeding specific tank? 

You have alot of faith in 10 year old me haha… I saw them at Petco, thought they were beautiful and added them to my eclectic 20H tank. They lived with me for 5 years. With some neon tetra, a dwarf gourami, and kuhli loaches whom disappeared until I disassembled the tank 8 years later.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:58 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

You have alot of faith in 10 year old me haha… I saw them at Petco, thought they were beautiful and added them to my eclectic 20H tank. They lived with me for 5 years. With some neon tetra, a dwarf gourami, and kuhli loaches whom disappeared until I disassembled the tank 8 years later.

Ahh gotcha. I definitely want to give breeding them a try but I’m waiting on my 20 long to be freed from my guppy fry being grown out.