Marineland Internal Canister Filter

Hannah Parker

Has anyone ever used the Marineland Internal Canister Filter?

I've been on the hunt for an additional filter for my 60 gallon goldfish tank; I currently use 2 large sponge filters with 2 small ones stacked on them, and an AquaClear powerhead with a filter basket attached. I was browsing Petco today and saw this:

mariland.jpg.ef9ea17935a3a9218a1f3dc3870ad4b5.jpg

It seems to be advertised as doing the same thing as a canister filter, which was highly recommended to me for a goldfish tank by many members of this forum. I haven't been able to have a canister filter because of the nature of my set-up (a double tank stand, so with another tank on the bottom part of the stand instead of shelving where an external canister filter could go). 

Has anyone ever used this filter before? Is it a good filter? Thanks in advance 🙂 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:25 AM, Hannah Parker said:

Has anyone ever used the Marineland Internal Canister Filter?

I've been on the hunt for an additional filter for my 60 gallon goldfish tank; I currently use 2 large sponge filters with 2 small ones stacked on them, and an AquaClear powerhead with a filter basket attached. I was browsing Petco today and saw this:

mariland.jpg.ef9ea17935a3a9218a1f3dc3870ad4b5.jpg

It seems to be advertised as doing the same thing as a canister filter, which was highly recommended to me for a goldfish tank by many members of this forum. I haven't been able to have a canister filter because of the nature of my set-up (a double tank stand, so with another tank on the bottom part of the stand instead of shelving where an external canister filter could go). 

Has anyone ever used this filter before? Is it a good filter? Thanks in advance 🙂 

I have not used it, but honestly, I wouldn't go that direction.  You will end up losing real estate in your tank, and it really does not have that much media.  For the money i would think about the Tidal 55 or 75.  It has lots of room for media and runs around $65.  I use one on my 38-gallon tank really works well.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ken Burke said:

I have not used it, but honestly, I wouldn't go that direction.  You will end up losing real estate in your tank, and it really does not have that much media.  For the money i would think about the Tidal 55 or 75.  It has lots of room for media and runs around $65.  I use one on my 38-gallon tank really works well.

Very fair point. I'm definitely still undecided because it does take up a lot of room, which all my other filters already do. What makes me still curious about it is a lot of people really love this filter, and call it a powerhouse. I know my goldfish need something to take their filtration to the next level, their tank can get really dirty easily. 

• Like 1

An option I have used but is not aesthetically pleasing unless you have a small separate cabinet is setting the canister to one side or the other of the tank. If done at a steep slope angle it still works fine. Maybe just a touch fussy to get started but nothing major. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

An option I have used but is not aesthetically pleasing unless you have a small separate cabinet is setting the canister to one side or the other of the tank. If done at a steep slope angle it still works fine. Maybe just a touch fussy to get started but nothing major. 

That makes sense!

I think I need more education on customizing filter media and the different types, etc., because for all my fishkeeping years I've only ever used sponge filters! I have been reading up all day, and I think my powerhead can still get the job done pretty well for now. I'm going to buy and add Fluval Zeo-Carb to the inside of the basket, along with the 2-sided filter floss I've been using. I think eventually I will try and add something, maybe a HOB with an intake-extender to reach the debris on the bottom more. I really like the looks of this Marineland, but I think it takes up too much space and has too high of a flow for my goldfish. I think it could be a really cool main filter for a cichlid tank or a high-flow river tank. 

@Hannah Parker I only use sponge in all 6 canisters. Mostly 30 ppi and what sponge/foam comes with fluval 07 series. I throw the rest away. Tried tons of different ones. It didn’t do as good a job as ordinary matten foam/sponge 30ppi for me. Somewhere maybe page 11 I show the inside of how I set up my canister and what media I use and don’t use. That may give you a starting point for more research. 

Also fluval 07 series have fully adjustable flow trickle to full output. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Hannah Parker I only use sponge in all 6 canisters. Mostly 30 ppi and what sponge/foam comes with fluval 07 series. I throw the rest away. Tried tons of different ones. It didn’t do as good a job as ordinary matten foam/sponge 30ppi for me. Somewhere maybe page 11 I show the inside of how I set up my canister and what media I use and don’t use. That may give you a starting point for more research. 

Thank you so much! It definitely gives me a good idea 🙂 I definitely need more research, as I recently learned the difference between fine and coarse sponges even 🤣

On 7/14/2022 at 2:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I've only seen this video on it, there are a few more.

Thank you! I ended up searching around on YouTube as well, it's always easier to actually see a video of the product. I liked Prime Time Aquatic's video, it was just a concise list of basic pros and cons. It also helped me realize how big this thing is! Not too obtrusive for 75 gallons and up I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, Hannah Parker said:

It also helped me realize how big this thing is! Not too obtrusive for 75 gallons and up I'd imagine. 

Definitely. One of the things I like about these is that it's a different type of filtration that marineland is trying to use here. Instead of sponge or ceramics/rocks it is a fluted particle filtration.  These canisters I think are even readily available for spas and are of similar shape and size.  Reusable, longer lasting, and all of those things make me want to get my hands on one eventually.  If only it had a spraybar option!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, Hannah Parker said:

Thank you! I ended up searching around on YouTube as well, it's always easier to actually see a video of the product. I liked Prime Time Aquatic's video, it was just a concise list of basic pros and cons. It also helped me realize how big this thing is! Not too obtrusive for 75 gallons and up I'd imagine. 

Jason does a great job with his videos....

• Like 1