Pleco

carlos09

I need peoples help I got 4 of these long fin bristle nose and I noticed today they all have red lines on them all have it on there front fin beside this one so far this particular one has it the worst and I was told it can be septicemia and I need help  I don’t know what it is this is my second fish I have ever kept beside some black Cory’s I have with them they don’t have any red just the bristle nose

• Sad 1

Does the red start at the tip working towards the body but not touching the body  on pectoral fins only?  I breed lemon longfins. They are very sensitive to certain things though overall tanks. Whenever I have seen it it was an ammonia spike from a batch of repashy I did not prep correctly, or a nitrite bacterial bloom when I fussed to much with filters at one time, once for crazy high nitrate spike and once due to being incapable of gravel vacuuming.  They live on the floor so clean substrate is needed. This is not to say weekly mulm build up is doing this. It’s long term buildup of nasty unhelpful bacteria if you don’t have enough rooted established plants keeping it clean. 
Gravel vac and a few extra, large water changes have cleared it up each time for me. If the streak reaches the body it is more serious. 

If it’s red streaks through the tail or starting at the body working out it’s often bacterial septicemia.  

Viral hemorrhagic septicemia will also show red in the body or an extreme bacterial will begin to show in the body. 

I hope that helps. Sorry you are struggling. Also your picture still did not load. Welcome to the forum. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 6:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

Does the red start at the tip working towards the body but not touching the body  on pectoral fins only?  I breed lemon longfins. They are very sensitive to certain things though overall tanks. Whenever I have seen it it was an ammonia spike from a batch of repashy I did not prep correctly,

What do you mean by, " a batch of repashy I did not prep correctly?"

On 7/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, Ken Burke said:

What do you mean by, " a batch of repashy I did not prep correctly?"

I got distracted…squirrel….🤣. I left my boiling water in the microwave and when I dumped it on the repashy it was Luke warm at best. It set but when I put it in the tank it fell to powder 😝. Not my brightest moment but my brain said it will be fine they will Hoover it up. The gel not forming to keep it from deteriorating was like dumping a handful of dry food in the tank. Ammonia spike. A bit of dry repashy like food is ok but I had 2 spawns in a 20 l that were reaching juvenile…way overstocked as plecos always are. I put in 3 repashy on a stick and green beans. I’m lucky I only had issues and didn’t lose both batches. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

I got distracted…squirrel….🤣. I left my boiling water in the microwave and when I dumped it on the repashy it was Luke warm at best. It set but when I put it in the tank it fell to powder 😝. Not my brightest moment but my brain said it will be fine they will Hoover it up. The gel not forming to keep it from deteriorating was like dumping a handful of dry food in the tank. Ammonia spike. A bit of dry repashy like food is ok but I had 2 spawns in a 20 l that were reaching juvenile…way overstocked as plecos always are. I put in 3 repashy on a stick and green beans. I’m lucky I only had issues and didn’t lose both batches. 

Ah.  My first batch of repashy was a disaster!  My ratio was inverted, water too cool.  bid not make another batch for months.