Snagged a few D-cell pumps recently, what with hurricane season coming up, and I tested one out and WHOA!  It is LOUD!  Anyone have any tips on dampening that?  I wrapped 2 hand towels around it and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Last hurricane we were out of power for 3 days and I can't imagine listening to that for that duration.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

If they are the blue Penn plax sab. Good luck. Best I did was sit them on thick matten foam and cover with towels. Not very helpful. They were useful in that when the power goes out they come on automatically and are so roaring loud with 9 running it would wake me up 🤣

On 7/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Guppysnail said:

If they are the blue Penn plax sab. Good luck. Best I did was sit them on thick matten foam and cover with towels. Not very helpful. They were useful in that when the power goes out they come on automatically and are so roaring loud with 9 running it would wake me up 🤣

Oh great. It's not in front of me right now but I think it's called Penn Plax Emergency Air.  I think I'm shipping it back and going with the nano pumps, just wondering what I should buy to run a nano pump though (that won't cost a fortune). We have some RavPowers lying around but would need those for our cell phones if we were out of power for a few days and need to check on the relatives.  Those have a nice life but are about $45 each. 

On 7/13/2022 at 2:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh great. It's not in front of me right now but I think it's called Penn Plax Emergency Air.  I think I'm shipping it back and going with the nano pumps, just wondering what I should buy to run a nano pump though (that won't cost a fortune). We have some RavPowers lying around but would need those for our cell phones if we were out of power for a few days and need to check on the relatives.  Those have a nice life but are about $45 each. 

If your ordering aco do it right. A few dollars more gets the new aco battery pump. All in one pump and emergency air. I am running 9 of them. I’ll never run anything else c

On 7/13/2022 at 2:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

If your ordering aco do it right. A few dollars more gets the new aco battery pump. All in one pump and emergency air. I am running 9 of them. I’ll never run anything else c

I thought about it but I think they run for 4 hours. I would need something that runs a few days, as the hurricane outages are extra special.  🙄

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I thought about it but I think they run for 4 hours. I would need something that runs a few days, as the hurricane outages are extra special. 

I have 3 of the Marina D-Cell pumps for when things get real bad.  Slightly higher output compared to the nano+lithium pumps.

I would recommend the nano pumps for emergency use as well as the USB battery banks.  I have a bag with my "emergency" stuff, nano pumps, gang valve, check valve, tubing scraps that I can use. 

This was my testing and what not.

d-cell pumps: ~18-22 hours
Nano pump on 20,000 mAh (first run): 3.5 days

On 7/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The name of the problematic product is "Penn Plax Silent Air B10 Aquarium Air Pump".  Lies and deceit!

Yup that’s the one. Roaring loud. I’m certain it very quiet if you actually live down the street. Sorry had to go there. I know first hand how loud they are. 

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 1:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Did you run just one pump per bank?

yes. I only have one nano pump. 

nano pump ---> one sponge filter

d-cell pump ---> gang valve ---> ziss bubble bio + sponge filter

You can easily run the D-cell into two sponges or one sponge and an airstone.  Nano ones I try to limit one stone / sponge per.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Snagged a few D-cell pumps recently, what with hurricane season coming up, and I tested one out and WHOA!  It is LOUD!  Anyone have any tips on dampening that?  I wrapped 2 hand towels around it and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Last hurricane we were out of power for 3 days and I can't imagine listening to that for that duration.

Hi, in acoustic designs, we often used this stuff.

Isolate It!: Sorbothane Acoustic and Vibration Thin Film

This is the smallest pack (40) I've seen but perhaps there's a lower quantity available.

Usually, it's placed under sensitive electronics like turntables where tiny vibrations from sound in the room get amplified and are sent down the chain, wreaking havoc on the rest of the system (feedback). I don't know the type of noise coming out of this pump but if it's vibrating, this can be extremely effective in negating it. On the big stuff, I've seen 1" thick pads of it under huge loudspeakers playing loudly and the floor under them had no perceivable vibrations on it.

It was not uncommon at hifi trade shows for crazy people to place this on top of their hand and strike it with a hammer to demonstrate how well it isolates it! 

Sorbothane Sheets

It effectively converts the noise of the object it's wrapped around to energy too low to be heard (That's actually what wrapping it in a towel also does but this is many thousands of times more effective).

As a very general rule with the one in the link, it halves the total noise per sheet used. Then you'd use 2 sheets to halve that again and so on. I'm not certain it would be good enough as if the noise is high pitched, it won't work well but if it's a vibration, buzz or hum-like noise, it very well may do the trick or at least negate a lot of it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

If you have some electronics skills and can solder, wiring up a four D-Cell battery pack should let you run one of the USB air pumps. USB power is 5-volts. A four-cell pack will give you about six volts. The USB air pups are simple, a DC motor and three small rubber/silicon pistons. They don't need any fancy power regulation. Don't skimp on the batteries. D-Cell provides several times the life of a C-Cell.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 3:25 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thank you for such a detailed response @dasaltemelosguy! Love it!

Here’s the pump. Don’t mind the rusty rags. We were using those around pipes of a leaky water heater for awhile.

Holy cow that's loud! I doubt it can be dampened out very well as it sounds like the pump inside is vibrating the entire box. It probably needs some kind of padding under the pump between it and the box walls, but I can't be sure. Wow, that's loud. Might be best to use a long hose and keep it in another room! 🔊

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Holy cow that's loud! I doubt it can be dampened out very well as it sounds like the pump inside is vibrating the entire box. It probably needs some kind of padding under the pump between it and the box walls, but I can't be sure. Wow, that's loud. Might be best to use a long hose and keep it in another room! 🔊

I know!!!  What I was thinking is put it in the cooler and run the airhose out the drainhole and up to the tank.

• Like 1