We had a fire

sweetpoison

This past Friday at 1:30 in the morning my neighbor on top of me failed to turn off his propane tank on his barbecue. You can only imagine. If you have renters insurance don’t ever cancel it. They are paying for everything for me puppies were in a very nice hotel. It has been a long four days six days actually. I go back to work tomorrow. I don’t know when I’ll be able to get in to get all my stuff but my insurance is paying for the move. My new apartment will be ready on 14 of August so I’m here for six weeks I guess it is . I unplugged my tank at home so I’ve ruined everything apparently right. Is there anything special I should do? Take out the filters?   I’m gonna go there today and take out the wood. I don’t know why just sounds like a good plan🥹. My apartment is OK just water damage ~ the ceiling in the walls so they’ve locked us out~  I am gonna go back today guess I can get some things. 

I’m so discombobulated you guys have no idea. I have so many friends on Twitter they have sent so much money and so much groceries im popping at the seams here!  Both of my jobs have an awesome. Also we’re on the news channel 13 was there within seconds. But I wanted to let you guys know don’t forget about me because I’ll be back!  Thank God I never got my wet pets yet!

My apartment‘s on the bottom with a pink porch light🥺

2537682A-85F0-43E5-A567-2FA4730B2C32.jpeg

48A76794-74DC-401F-AF6F-AC7BD0CF8D08.jpeg

01DFC6BD-2859-4751-A00A-78D43AC804F5.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
I have no idea
  • Sad 8

So glad your ok, things like this are just terrifying. 

They would have turned off the power to the building anyway so you turning off the tank won't really have affected that outcome.

If you have time maybe drain the tank if time is limited leave it after removing any casualties, you never know if it's planted and gets some sunlight it might surprise you. 

Good luck with everything. 

• Like 1

You being ok is all that really matters. 

A sitdown meeting with the property manager to discuss options would be a good idea. It is possible that electricity to your apartment can be partially restored  My nonlegal opinion would be that they may be responsible for any additional damage to your property.  Something as simple as an extension cord to keep the pumps running may be enough.  One of my aquariums was a rescue. The owner was no longer able to care for it beyond occasionally feeding the fish.  It contained construction debris and other junk, and it was impossible to see the fish through the algae. The fish were fine.  Don't get discouraged, most fish aren't as delicate as we think.   

• Like 1

I'm so glad you're ok! I'm just curious if they were actually allowed to have a grill up there? When I lived in an apartment there was a strict no grills on the balcony policy. I believe it was local fire code, not just a management policy.

• Like 1

Oh my. I’m so glad you are safe.  I’m also glad your friends and employer are there for you.  No worries the tank can be restarted. We will be here with you when you set it back up.  Life interferes with hobbies sometimes.  I vicariously lived your adventure with you, no way could I forget you. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Love 2

d-cell pumps: ~18-22 hours

Nano pump on 20,000 mAh (first run): 3.5 days

I'm glad your safe! I can only imagine the emotions going on right now.

If you have any nano pumps or battery powered pumps I would try those first. I'll have to find the thread, but depending what you have will determine how things last. Even with no heat and lights having that air pump running might be what you need to keep them going if there is any survivors.

Being able to check on the fish daily at least is also a major need. If you can I'd move the fish to a tub with you and just leave it at that.

On 7/13/2022 at 1:11 AM, sweetpoison said:

I’m gonna go there today and take out the wood. I don’t know why just sounds like a good plan🥹.

Definitely. There's likely going to be particles in the air and easy for things to drop in the tank and contaminate stuff.  I would remove hardscape, plants, fish, and preferably drain the tank and cover it. If it's a small tank I'd take it with me to wherever and just set it up like Cory's video on moving fish.

I hope that helps and I'm sure others have some awesome ideas as well to help out. Some of the above might not be an option, but hopefully we all can help from all the way over here in whatever way we can.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Fortunately she was still fishless cycling and there are only a few plants in there. 

Makes it slightly easier!  Yeah, definitely take out what you can and just let it sit, air dry even.  Plants you can keep in a tub or whatever or just keep in the tank.  Personally, I'd prefer to monitor them and likely take the tank or setup a tub until things were ready.

Just be sure not to run the light in a tub for 14-16 hours a day and have it way too high and let the algae take over.  The advantage is that you don't really have to worry about "feeding" the tank because there's no fish, so less of a risk of algae from waste. 🙂

I am so sorry that happened to you! I am glad that you are ok ! Things can always be replaced, but you cannot! I know that doesn’t really make you feel any better about the situation, but hopefully it won’t be very long before life settles back down into some form of normalcy. I hope your neighbor and his family are also ok!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!!♥️ but I’m back this damn tank is going up I don’t know when ~ We are not jinxed🫣😂 I have to clean the gravel just fill it up a little and switch it around and to clean it all ~ right ~ can’t be that hard shouldn’t take a PhD🙄 But it might😂

Thank God I did not have fish. When the fire was almost out the wonderful fireman took me in my apartment with flashlights everywhere and let me grab important things.  When I came From the kitchen all three of them are bending over they pulled off all the tarp and they said “Marie, we don’t see your fish they might’ve died what should we do?”  I let it go for a little longer cause they had cute butts and then I told them “I don’t have any fish guys”. It was a good laugh in the moment of disaster!

it’s good to be back can’t move in here but I’m working on it♥️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

Good to hear from you and it that was very considerate of the fire service and sweet response to the fish tank.

Amazed you sound so chipper (I'm sure there have been many tears) no matter how grim things are your always winning if you are telling the story.

Take care

• Love 2

On 7/26/2022 at 9:15 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Good to hear from you and it that was very considerate of the fire service and sweet response to the fish tank.

Amazed you sound so chipper (I'm sure there have been many tears) no matter how grim things are your always winning if you are telling the story.

Take care

That’s a wonderful post you made my contacts float🥹♥️♥️ I guess I’m chipper because now I’m living out of one apartment instead of three. Talk about stressful and I’m back to being 3 miles from work six minutes instead of 20 which is where my hotel was. I can’t find any utensils and I can’t find Alexa she’s probably dead in some box! I’m using a miniature knife or a sword that’s all I have😂😂

9544E82D-C446-47D8-AF0C-4B6B11A245DA.jpeg

On 7/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Welcome back, @sweetpoison!

Thank You!  I have missed you!

On 7/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome back!  You got this. 

It will be nice to work on that tank!  Was hard to move from my burnt up apartment because I couldn’t get the siphon to start to drain it😞😡

I wish I never got this one – should’ve got the python but I didn’t have deep pockets. But I will be switching!

• Like 2
  • Love 1