Fertilizing schedule with EasyGreen

I have nano tank of size 36cm x 26 cm x 26 cm (6 US gallon). I have an iwagumi layout here. I consider it heavily planted.

I have 3 small anubias nana petite, 3 cups of monte carlo, 2 cups of dwarf hairgrass, 4 crypt parva(tiny), 5 s repens and small riccardia moss. This is a high tech planted tank with CO2 injection and Chihiros WRGB 2 light.

CO2 comes ON at 10 AM and OFF at 8 PM

Light comes ON at 12 PM and OFF at 8:30PM with 30 mins ramp up and ramp down.

I have Oase Biomaster FiltoSmart 100 Thermo filter, with lily pipes which also acts as surface skimmer.

I have 12 chili rasboras, 2 ottos, 1 bristle nose pleco baby(Dont intend to keep this guy there) and some neo and caridina shrimps(including 2 amano shrimps). Pleco and Ottos were added to control the diatoms. I have this tank running for 6 weeks now. I was using APT Zero for the first month and changed to EZ green for the last 2 weeks. I am seeing diatoms for the last two weeks(I am guessing this is because the tank just finished cycle and maturing).

With APT Zero, I saw some Monte Carlo leaves yellowing(not sure whether its the diatoms starting), Hence I switched to EZ Green.

I change 50% water once a week. Before last water change on Sunday night, I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.

I dosed 1 pump of EasyGreen(They recommend 1 pump per 10 gallon, However, I have used it on 6 gallon tank here) on Monday just before the lights went on. I did not measure the nitrate level on Monday. On Tuesday night, I am measuring 0 nitrates again.

Does this mean EZ green is consumed and I should doze again? Or should I just blindly stick to 1 pump per week schedule regardless of nitrate readings?

You should for sure be dosing more. I'd say by quite a lot if it's being consumed in a day. I'd start off by dosing a pump a day for a week or two and see where that lands you. But if someone more experienced says something else, go with their advice. 😉

On 7/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

This is lightly planted and many slow growers.

I'd go 2 pumps a week and 3 when things get going.

How are you measuring CO2 and what's your GH and KH?

I added 1 pump of EZ green in the morning around 9 AM. Night 10:30 pm, it reads 0 nitrate. I am using API master test kit. (I will take sample to some local pet store to do a test with test strip).

I have GH of 4

KH of 1 (it did not turn blue. It turned to very pale yellow in first drop).

On 7/13/2022 at 10:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

And how are you measuring CO2?

I am using drop checker. Looking for lime green.

I wanted to test with ph drop. My test kit can detect till 6 in the low. I think it’s going below that. I am using Aquasoil which should have buffered ph to 6.4 before co2 start everyday 

Thanks. Any recommendations? The repeated calibration is what makes me hesitant to get one.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

And how are you measuring CO2?

I'm also have a feeling you may have messed up your NO3 kit. Did you shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds rapidly? If it's an API test kit, that's required.

I did shake. Will check again with a pet store 

I don't test any more because I front load nutrients and do 90% water changes while knowing the exact ppm going in. But if you calculate and know the ppm going in, then calculating nutrient accumulation totals are easy (based off 50% water changes). 

You can't have more than 2 times the amount you dose while doing 50% changes. So if you dose 10ppm of anything, weeks later you will have 20.ppm. You just need to know if the tank produces NO3 or consumes NO3. That way you make a small NO3 adjustment to compensate. If you dose 10ppm, and before your weekly water change, test a drop of 5ppm, then increase by 5ppm to maintain your target.

The real trouble starts because tanks change NO3 and all in one fertilizers alter many elements. So how to compensate for 1 when your fertilizer changes many.