Taia naticoides Piano snails another adventure

EDIT

CHANGE IN TITLE as these grew it became more apparent they were actually Taia naticoides piano snails. 

So I’m starting a new separate adventure journal for these kids. I could not find a ton on the interweb about them. 

My little local pet shop that sells fish also had these guys. They were sent and invoiced to them as pagoda snails. They were obviously not pagoda snails I had ever heard of. 

I started a thread to help get a correct ID on them because I fell in love with these adorable snails. I tried to resist but we all know me. I’m helpless against snail cuteness 🤣🥰. I’ll attach that thread so anyone can see this adventure from the start. 

Here is what I know so far. If anyone has experience with these sweethearts please share your knowledge.  If you find interesting interweb info feel free to share that as well. Please cite your references so I can find the original stuff and any other possible links it may lead to. 

@OnlyGenusCaps came up with what I believe is the accurate snail in the original thread.  Thank you again. His picture is identical.

They are livebearing. Filter and algae feeding. Though they are fond of cory wafers(only ones I tried so far). Apparently they are river snails. Their snout is much longer and extends further than my mystery snails.  After eating the wafers and ignoring the green beans they cruised the tank. So far I have only seen one come to the surface.  Then returned and actively ate not just sat on the green bean from 3:15 until at least dark at 9 pm…hungry bugs. 

They are supposed to be filter feeders as well so I put a touch of Dr. Tim’s Hawaiian spirulina powder and sera micron in a pipette mixed with water and swish it in the water. They do indeed slightly extend the tube on their right side when I do this so I believe they are filtering. 

left to right

Freddy Mercury (tiny baby pea size) Mary Prankster (blueberry size)  and Niccolo Paganini (slightly smaller than a dime)784F2257-12D8-4A3A-9033-A8139FE98D9D.jpeg.dd63394eae2c838434ae81ab55f185e1.jpeg

They are in with 1 female mystery snail, 4 olive nerite snails, young guppy boys and shrimp. 77 degrees  my standard hard water 7.6-8 ph  

They behave like bladder snails. They rear up on the back edge of their foot and they shake swish their shell back and forth rapidly to dislodge the tiny terrorist shrimp. Very comical. 

HAPPY ADVENTURES…TRY SOMETHING NEW

PHOTO DUMP..WHAT I HAVE SO FAR 

878DEB5C-25D0-4278-8EC5-0252B95244D1.jpeg

94BBEBAC-5041-479A-A9D8-2E92D3675CD8.jpeg

61C28DCB-02E9-4B34-99D9-F1880226FA66.jpeg

434B6802-47DC-4432-9E1D-101338531111.jpeg

08D8AA8D-0A70-4BD2-8C34-C4A1DA9E5649.jpeg

801B38C8-B0B8-45B4-9565-9A5F7E5DB84D.jpeg

A84BF546-1DEE-40E2-9C42-AC6B5479CE23.jpeg

B0FC31E9-4B6B-47BE-820F-C52B069C234E.jpeg

8986454A-2F62-48FB-A211-88A83846A50B.jpeg

8303A4A7-343C-49F2-AE72-BDE55428A610.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

On 7/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, Guppysnail said:

Their snout is much longer

They remind me of anteaters.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, Guppysnail said:

They are supposed to be filter feeders as well so I put a touch of Dr. Tim’s Hawaiian spirulina powder and sera micron in a pipette mixed with water and swish it in the water. They do indeed slightly extend the tube on their right side when I do this so I believe they are filtering. 

That is so cool.

(Most photos have a shrimp hitchhiker. Interesting.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:36 AM, Patrick_G said:

Pretty cool! Do these have a common name? 

I have no clue. I got that name from OGC. I’ve read them called river snails but there are many viviparus river snail varieties from what I’ve read. So I’m guessing maybe just river snails. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have no clue. I got that name from OGC. I’ve read them called river snails but there are many viviparus river snail varieties from what I’ve read. So I’m guessing maybe just river snails. 🤷‍♀️

Hmmm, so no known common name eh? They definitely need one so how about “Guppy snails”? 😆😁

• Love 3

On 7/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, Patrick_G said:

They definitely need one so how about “Guppy snails”

On 7/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

Sold!  Until we find if there is a real common name Guppy snails it is

If they do indeed end producing quite a lot of live young, then I think this common name seems appropriate on all levels.  We should find a place that will allow you to write an article online about their care (once you have hammered it out) referring to them as "guppy snails" and then link to that to add the common name to Wikipedia.  That's about the most "official" way I can think of to get a common name recognized. 

Also, I'm already intrigued by this species, so I'm excited to see your forthcoming updates on their care.  They have fallen into the right hands, that much is clear!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@OnlyGenusCaps ORD THANKS. If someone finds a place for an article or knows how to do the Wikipedia thing I’m game. I don’t know how to do that stuff. 

One thing I noticed is they are BUSY.  Non stop since they got going.  Everywhere all over the tank. I have been doing night checks and observation with a little blue light flashlight. They are still busy.  I’ve never had such busy snails. I have not seen them sleep.  So I’m guessing their sleep pattern is going to be long busy durations with an almost brumation type sleep period that’s extensive. I’m wondering if it is because they seem like babies and they will grow to a less constant feeding schedule or if it’s just their behavior.

I love new critter adventures!

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

So I had ordered more of the same “pagoda” snails on the order sheet after having the conversation with the manager who agreed tons of snails are coming in labeled pagoda now. She knew we were gambling. The clerk that takes in deliveries called and I rushed down to get them. This is what was sent ☹️. The manager is going to keep trying since all their snails sell fast. She posted my pics of the ones I have with my phone number on their board. If anyone sees them come in they are supposed to call.  I so hope I have at least one of each sex. 
Thankfully I’m immune to conical snail cuteness.  @Torreyis wearing away at that immunity though. 🤣

A8FB406B-0E08-4B00-AB7A-38CD1D32902D.jpeg

2D471FDD-AFC6-47A7-928E-2DBDFB42D0DC.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

On 7/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thankfully I’m immune to conical snail cuteness.

Those snails are weird.  

Also, your "guppy snails" are conical, just not "as" conical.  But I'm with you.  I don't really have interest in the long shelled ones.  Their faces are smaller and you can't really tell their.. expressions?  Also I'm afraid of live-bearing snails and a mega population explosion.  Although last night I watched a video on trumpet snails which was kinda cool.  They burrow in the day and they keep the sand turned so it stays looking good. Then they all come out at night.  But yeah, no control over breeding. It happens in the sand. Next thing you know, 1000 trumpet snails.

You need to put your pink snail eggs journal and this one in your signature line so I can find the threads; I keep losing them. 🤪

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I found this. They are slow reproducers so guppy snails is not an appropriate common name. They mention them being called fresh water winkles 🤮. I think I shall call them Genus snails. Since @OnlyGenusCaps figured out the name 😁

However, unfortunately this company is UK based…the search for more continues. 

94C4EE5A-7E9E-4F0C-A4B3-D1FB64D1BC72.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

So I had ordered more of the same “pagoda” snails on the order sheet after having the conversation with the manager who agreed tons of snails are coming in labeled pagoda now. She knew we were gambling. The clerk that takes in deliveries called and I rushed down to get them. This is what was sent ☹️. The manager is going to keep trying since all their snails sell fast. She posted my pics of the ones I have with my phone number on their board. If anyone sees them come in they are supposed to call.  I so hope I have at least one of each sex. 
Thankfully I’m immune to conical snail cuteness.  @Torreyis wearing away at that immunity though. 🤣

A8FB406B-0E08-4B00-AB7A-38CD1D32902D.jpeg

2D471FDD-AFC6-47A7-928E-2DBDFB42D0DC.jpeg

Those are Prambanan snails, Thiara winteri.  Related to MTS but much slower reproducing.  They have a lot of variety in shell color and shape.  I’ve tried to get them and actual pagoda snails a couple times but they’ve either arrived dead or died shortly thereafter.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

I think I shall call them Genus snails

Nope.  Guppy snails for a live bearing snail, it is.  And never wee-willy-winkles or whatever other trash name they have been given in the past.  I won't stand for it!  I will however sit here and have a beer to toast to the long lived future of "guppy snails".  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I put in a touch of spirulina powder and they all opened the tube on the right for filter feeding just after again. 

C883656F-B392-4C4E-AD5C-95FAFCD66EDD.jpeg

Everything past the red arrow is growth just in the short time I’ve had them. You can see the shell line. 

AE57CF40-DA47-4113-990D-63275971DE40.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

On 7/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, Katherine said:

Did you just get them Tuesday? That's a lot of growth!

Yes. All three have not stopped eating even at night. I’ve seen mystery snail put on a good half inch or more in a week when they are babies. The ones I got from my niece who did not know to feed them food other than leftovers gave me some that did this. These kids were at the lfs in an absolutely spotless tank with only what guppies did not eat to survive on not even a plant.  So they were starving when I got them. 

Also they may have been on the verge and it started but was to small for my bad eyes to really see well. 

The line indicates parameter move. So that growth probably started when they hit lfs water but jumped forward with unlimited food

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 5:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Katherine I just took a pic of that little bug so you can see how tiny he is. That picture makes him look much bigger so the growth looks outrageous. I zoomed in so everyone could see the growth. Smaller than my pinky fingernail 

Oh! That seems more reasonable. I thought he was much larger than that. My mystery snails had similar growth at that size.

• Like 1

I cannot resist how cute snails are! And don't even get me started about snail babies 🥰@GuppysnailWhat do you put in your tank for calcium supplement? I am feeding veggies and Repashy Soilent Green. I have read you can use "cuttle bone" and/or wondershell. Do you just place a hunk in the tank and the snails will go to town consume the calcium and/or either will add some calcium to the water column? Just want to ensure good husbandry.

• Like 1
  • Love 1