My 20 gallon Fresh Water Tank

Dave K

Thanks for sharing! Looks to me like you’ve invested in good equipment. Eheim heaters are top of the line. Is that an inkbird you’re running in there? I enjoy Aquaclear HOB filters too.

You might enjoy a bunch of Rotala Indica. Maybe some Hygrophilia difformis, or Hygrophilia polysperma.

Edited by Fish Folk

Nice looking tank! I’m a big fan of Cherry barbs. Good choice. 
One question on purigen. I’ve used it a few times to remove tannins in my planted tanks and to remove nitrogen compounds in my brackish tank. So the question is weather it removes all nitrogen compounds or just Nitrate, and will there be nitrogen available for plants when using it? 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, Patrick_G said:

So the question is weather it removes all nitrogen compounds or just Nitrate, and will there be nitrogen available for plants when using it? 

The way I understand it is that it removes the nitrogenous waste that isn't first taken by the beneficial bacteria.  Therefore it does not give that waste time to develop ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.  The beneficial bacteria still thrives and works though.  That is the reason the water flows through the sponge, then media, and lastly through the purigen.  It doesn't remove those elements but helps keep it under control.  Also, purigen won't strip out some fertilizer like I'm told carbon would.  I like it because it would suck up any other organics that might cause problems later down the road.  

• Like 1

I'd give it 3-5 months before making any changes.

More plants are always good, until they aren't.  I think the biggest thing you need at the moment is time.  You have a lot of immature plants.  Ive had to rehome plants several times because the tank was empty, so I bought some more plants.  then the fish were running outta places to swim.

You can reassess after that, but I suspect you are on your way to a stunning tank.