Gluing Crypt Parva

Im having an absolutely horrid time getting crypt parva to root. Has anyone tried gluing to a rock like you would with an anubis, then letting it root as it grows into your substrate? 

Edited by JoeQ

On 7/11/2022 at 7:54 AM, Guppysnail said:

Not this crypt but a few others. I place a plant weight loosely around the base to hold them down. It worked great and they rooted wonderfully. Until I used the weight I found them floating daily. 

Ive done that...... I bought it in march and weighed it down for awhile, then removed the weight thinking it was rooted but NOPE I was wrong! Buried all except for a little green, that lasted a few weeks untill it floated.... Buried it again fully, forgot about it, but surprise guess what i found floating during a water change!!!! Almost 6 months and it barely has 1/8 inch roots, WTF!!! I know it's a slow grower but, cheese and crackers!!!! 🤣

• Like 1

The only place I’ve managed to get crypt parva growing is in a tank with no fauna except a single ramshorn snail and it was added after the plants got established.  Now mind, I haven’t tugged on anything since they are devilish to get established, I’m not risking it.  I’ve disrupted them in this tank doing even the smallest water change.

I’ve bought a tissue culture (pretty much a bust, I think 5 tiny micro plants survived) and potted parvas 3 times to finally get this much going.  They appear to be established and growing but they are crazy slow, for sure.  Right now they’re growing at lightening speed compared to what they’ve done in the past.  Thus means I can tell they are growing ever so slowly as opposed to slowly fading.  🤦🏻‍♀️  I do love the little boogers in this tiny 2 G cube.  Maybe some year I’ll have a proper carpet of them.  I’ll check back with you in 2025 or so.

BBF6F227-EB61-4623-8CCB-818B6E576D56.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

The only place I’ve managed to get crypt parva growing is in a tank with no fauna except a single ramshorn snail and it was added after the plants got established.  Now mind, I haven’t tugged on anything since they are devilish to get established, I’m not risking it.  I’ve disrupted them in this tank doing even the smallest water change.

I’ve bought a tissue culture (pretty much a bust, I think 5 tiny micro plants survived) and potted parvas 3 times to finally get this much going.  They appear to be established and growing but they are crazy slow, for sure.  Right now they’re growing at lightening speed compared to what they’ve done in the past.  Thus means I can tell they are growing ever so slowly as opposed to slowly fading.  🤦🏻‍♀️  I do love the little boogers in this tiny 2 G cube.  Maybe some year I’ll have a proper carpet of them.  I’ll check back with you in 2025 or so.

BBF6F227-EB61-4623-8CCB-818B6E576D56.jpeg

Good to hear im not a total failure. Usually when I do fail I buy and try again. But in this case I might as well just play with growing it emursed and call it a day. Maybe put it in one of them little fly trap cups and wish it the best of luck! 🤣

Edited by JoeQ
  • Haha 1