Seeking advice on a replacement easy to care for plant (replacement for withering Java Fern groupings).

Hi everyone.  I'm seeking advice on an easy to care for low light plant to replace my withering Java Fern groupings in my 10-gallon Dwarf Endler aquarium.  The Java Ferns were originally bought at PetSmart and have been doing great for almost a year and a half until about a month ago when they really started to turn brown and yellow and melt.  I may want to just replace them entirely.  The only thing I've done different in the past month or so is change the water at my normal ~30% change every week instead of every other week.  The fish seem happier but the plants have started to not do so well.  By the way, my Java Ferns are in gravel and not glued to anything above the substrate.  Do you all think if I just bought new Java Ferns and properly planted them i.e. Super Gluing them to something above the substrate they would do better?  Preferably I was wanting to try a floating plant but I don't know if that's a good idea.  Any suggestions on what plant to try, maybe one that does well in gravel or if I should just try Super Gluing new Java Ferns above the substrate, is very greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

On 7/11/2022 at 1:54 AM, Scapexghost said:

Sounds like there isn't enough neutrients in the water, so few plants will thrive. Do you have a test kit? What are your nitrate levels?

Thanks for the response  🙂  I do have a test kit but haven't tested in a while.  I will be sure to test the water when I get home from work tonight and the lights in the aquarium are on.  Thanks again  🙂  

• Like 1

A new Java fern may work if the rhizome of the existing one is starting to get to deep under. I personally find java fern hard to grow that it stays nice. 
Guppy grass fills both your desire to replace the Java and have floating at the same time. It is an easy do nothing plant that grows FAST. I plant some and float some. HERE IS SOME OF MINE (in desperate need of a trim) the huge bush was 5-6 tiny twigs about 3 months ago. I have relocated clumps of it to 5 other tanks it grows that fast. I don’t fertilize or co2 and just have gravel and cheap led lights. Hope that helps

FBBF1877-84B0-486F-89A5-B0D99E13A1BB.jpeg

BC1179DE-5DC8-4B7C-977B-63ECB7330A7B.jpeg

498F0F62-E6E3-4D70-88EF-08DC0B047440.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/10/2022 at 7:13 PM, md363 said:

The only thing I've done different in the past month or so is change the water at my normal ~30% change every week instead of every other week.

What is your dosing schedule?

Do you all think if I just bought new Java Ferns and properly planted them i.e. Super Gluing them to something above the substrate they would do better?

You can also use plant weights!

Preferably I was wanting to try a floating plant but I don't know if that's a good idea.  Any suggestions on what plant to try, maybe one that does well in gravel or if I should just try Super Gluing new Java Ferns above the substrate, is very greatly appreciated.

Floating: Salvinia mini
"Plants that do well in gravel":  I would suggest stem plants. There's a few to choose from on the ACO website, I would recommend Bacopa Caroliniana or something like Scarlet Temple (depends on your lighting)

I like Hygrophila Polysperma. Very easy and just does well in most conditions.

An easy way to dose nutrients is to dose the incoming water. This way, nutrient levels are very consistent. If you change 1 gallon, dose a 1 gallon amount of nutrients each water change.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

A new Java fern may work if the rhizome of the existing one is starting to get to deep under. I personally find java fern hard to grow that it stays nice. 
Guppy grass fills both your desire to replace the Java and have floating at the same time. It is an easy do nothing plant that grows FAST. I plant some and float some. HERE IS SOME OF MINE (in desperate need of a trim) the huge bush was 5-6 tiny twigs about 3 months ago. I have relocated clumps of it to 5 other tanks it grows that fast. I don’t fertilize or co2 and just have gravel and cheap led lights. Hope that helps

FBBF1877-84B0-486F-89A5-B0D99E13A1BB.jpeg

BC1179DE-5DC8-4B7C-977B-63ECB7330A7B.jpeg

498F0F62-E6E3-4D70-88EF-08DC0B047440.jpeg

This is very cool!  Looks amazing too!  Thanks for the suggestion!  🙂  

On 7/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, JoeQ said:

You can't go wrong with crypts, just plug a root tab every few months (depending on which brand) and watch them slowly grow! 

Thanks for the suggestion!  🙂  

On 7/12/2022 at 2:03 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

What is your dosing schedule?

You can also use plant weights!

Floating: Salvinia mini
"Plants that do well in gravel":  I would suggest stem plants. There's a few to choose from on the ACO website, I would recommend Bacopa Caroliniana or something like Scarlet Temple (depends on your lighting)

I dose one pump of Easy Green once a week right after my water change.

I never thought about using plant weights for Java Fern.  To just let them sit on top of a piece of decor or something you mean?  Great idea!  Thanks!  🙂  

Thanks for the suggestions on replacement plants  🙂  I'll probably order some before the cold weather hits this year.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I like Hygrophila Polysperma. Very easy and just does well in most conditions.

An easy way to dose nutrients is to dose the incoming water. This way, nutrient levels are very consistent. If you change 1 gallon, dose a 1 gallon amount of nutrients each water change.

Thanks for the plant suggestion!

Also thanks for the advice on fertilizer!  🙂  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, md363 said:

To just let them sit on top of a piece of decor or something you mean? 

Yep, exactly!

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, md363 said:
On 7/11/2022 at 11:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I dose one pump of Easy Green once a week right after my water change.

What is your lighting like. Maybe the lighting is too bright for java ferns?

Sounds like there isn't enough neutrients in the water, so few plants will thrive. Do you have a test kit? What are your nitrate levels?

I apologize.  I didn't test my water last night after work.  I will definitely test it tonight and post my Nitrate levels.  Thanks again  🙂  

On 7/12/2022 at 6:32 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yep, exactly!

What is your lighting like. Maybe the lighting is too bright for java ferns?

Cool!  That's a great idea!

I have very low lighting.  Just two 5 or 10 watt bulbs that came with my Aqueon Basic 10-gallon aquarium kit from Petco.

• Like 1

Just tested my water with a test strip which is what I've always used.  This is my first aquarium so I should probably invest in an API Master Test Kit, but, the test strip read that my Nitrate level is between 10 and 20 or so.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, md363 said:

Just tested my water with a test strip which is what I've always used.  This is my first aquarium so I should probably invest in an API Master Test Kit, but, the test strip read that my Nitrate level is between 10 and 20 or so.

That is a little low for growing plants. You'll probably see more success if you changed less water or changed water less often. If not you could try root feeders and use root tabs. A bulb plant like dwarf aquarium lily would work best since the bulb already contains tons of neutrients.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:07 AM, Scapexghost said:

That is a little low for growing plants. You'll probably see more success if you changed less water or changed water less often. If not you could try root feeders and use root tabs. A bulb plant like dwarf aquarium lily would work best since the bulb already contains tons of neutrients.

Ok, thanks  🙂  I already use root tabs in the areas of the Java Ferns.  I think I'll try going back to changing the water once every other week at ~30% every time instead of every week.  Thanks for the plant suggestion also  🙂  

• Like 1