Moscow Purple guppy breeding

lmhicks101

So I’ve been keeping regular fancy tails for a few months now and breading them to see how it is. I’m enjoying it and really wanting to get a couple pairs of Moscow purples. What is every one’s opinion on them or do you have another recommendation for a purple guppy? Also if you’ve kept them any suggestions like water parameters, plants, food, tank mates and anything else would be highly appreciated. Ahead of time, I understand these aren’t cheap fish and that’s why Ike asking first for suggestions. I really wanna raise a few generations and then start breading for profit.  

Edited by lmhicks101
  • Like 1

if you have been keeping run of the mill guppy's, you should have no issues with a specific strain. good strong purple colors in guppy's arent all that common, so if you can keep a nice purple strain, i think you'll do okay selling them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds fun! Breeding guppies is a blast.

My only thoughts based on my experiences: It's important to make sure to exercise your Guppies through their juvenile stage into adulthood to help them prepare to carry large tails. It will make a very significant impact on the quality and longevity of the fish. You will need to feed more when you exercise them though.

Also, I'm not a fan of raising temps to get them to grow faster. Leads to a short lifespan and less desirable stock for future breeding.

I keep nitrates below 80. Stock raised with higher than 80ppm seems to impact their gill function and their ability to put on weight and overall body shape is poor. I try to keep nitrate below 50ppm as much as I can these days. Though I do have the occasional "oops". My display tanks are always kept below 20 to give the fish the best life I can.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, Minanora said:

Sounds fun! Breeding guppies is a blast.

My only thoughts based on my experiences: It's important to make sure to exercise your Guppies through their juvenile stage into adulthood to help them prepare to carry large tails. It will make a very significant impact on the quality and longevity of the fish. You will need to feed more when you exercise them though.

Also, I'm not a fan of raising temps to get them to grow faster. Leads to a short lifespan and less desirable stock for future breeding.

How do you exercise them and what temps do you run? I keep mine at 74°-76°