What do you enjoy about this hobby?

Spewing_nonsense_

Everyday I look at my aquariums I'm reminded about how much I love them so much and I'm so fascinated by all the little things that pop up and this mini little eco system I have in my own home that I get to observe every day. I personally just love going up and sitting and watching for a half hour and just seeing the fish do their thing searching for food and chasing after one another, and I love whenever I see new fry or I'm like look! That val made a baby or that anubias has a new leaf or dangit the duckweed has taken over (btw #brotherhoodofduckweed) but its just all those smaller things that makes it for me and seeing how this ecosystem I have evolved, and it led me to want to see what others enjoy about this hobby, so now I extend the question to all of you.

What do you enjoy most about this hobby?

• Like 1

I love the relaxation I get from watching the plants grow and the fish swimming peacefully. Also thinking about the next upgrade or thinking about how I can improve on my current set ups is something I enjoy.  For some reason, I also like doing maintenance for example, scrubbing algae off of the glass and cleaning the filter pipes 😅And finally, the community. Sharing my tanks with others and learning more about the hobby from people all over the world.

• Like 2

Hmmmm . . .  hard to pin down. There a few aspects about this hobby that fit my personality well and that I enjoy.

1) Its very relaxing and peaceful to watch colorful fish that you care for and raise, swimming in an ecosystem you created. It's fulfilling on many levels.

2) In general, every hobby I have--or had in the past--is nature-themed. Current other lifelong hobbies include birdwatching and rose gardening (been doing both of those for a few decades time). I've had fish and reptiles my entire life, on and off, depending on where I was in life, but it's not until the past 4 years that I dove into this hobby with both feet.

3) Unlike the above, which are either seasonal or occur outside my home, I can enjoy the aquarium hobby every single day without needing to go anywhere or without being affected by it being winter and the garden being dormant. Or the middle of summer and the bird activity somewhat subdued and predictable. Aquariums are always there, exactly where I also happen to be most of the time. My house! 

4) I've always loved growing plants, roses specifically (such a rewarding thing!). There is nothing more amazing and fulfilling than planning a garden scape (outside, or in an aquarium) -- picking and planting the plants, arranging their layout even when they're small and there's nothing but your imagination and experience to guide you, caring for the plants over time, and then, with lots of patients and discipline, seeing the fruits of what existed only inside your mind as a vision slowly grow into reality.

5) I love to tinker, test and build things, and improve upon processes. In the aquarium hobby, as opposed to something like birding, there's a lot of opportunity to build things, or experiment with things in my basement. (Yes, I've become that older, cliche guy who hides away, tinkering in his basement). I always need a project to think about and work on. If I don't have a problem or idea for my mind to chew on, I'm not happy. Plenty of projects in this hobby, if that tickles your fancy.

That, I think, sums up the major points of what i enjoy about this hobby. It's really the combination of those aspects, and not one thing in specific.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 3

I enjoy the peace and tranquility I get when sitting down in front of my tanks and watching the fish swim around, and the plants as they move and sway in there. 

I also enjoy the challenge of breeding the fish, figuring out the quirks that will cause them to spawn, and also the friendships that I have got with fellow hobbyists when I attend local club meetings, swap meets, auctions or whatever. 

• Like 1

I will concur that the relaxation and the communion with nature aspect of the hobby is very satisfying.  I enjoy finding something different every day, and noticing how the animals use the environment I've provided for them.  It is one of the more rewarding parts of my day. 

• Like 1