Green neon tetra and feeding

yassy

Hi. Recently, I got green neon tetra. I love how they look and so cute.

I noticed that they do not come to the top to eat the food like guppies would.

Is it how tiny green neon tetra do all the time; wait for the flakes to come sinking to the bottom and then eat?

I got Panda cory with them and they look like they are interested in cory's food and move towards cory's food,instead of flakes on top.

It is still second day so they may need time to get used to the surrounding but, I was not sure it is how they act naturally or is it from being new in our tank.

Since they did not come to the top, I stirred the water on top part so flakes go sinking. Is it how you feed green neon tetra?? Or they are fish that mostly eat slow sinking pellet?

Thank you.

Thank you. I did not know that was natural instinct. I always had guppy and got used to keeping fish that comes to top to eat if not bottom with cory so it was interesting to see.

So, do you two mostly feed slow sinking type of pellet more than flakes?

On 7/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, yassy said:

Thank you. I did not know that was natural instinct. I always had guppy and got used to keeping fish that comes to top to eat if not bottom with cory so it was interesting to see.

So, do you two mostly feed slow sinking type of pellet more than flakes?

I mostly feed flake. I mix in repashy, frozen foods, freeze dried foods, and vibra bites but i never feed pellets

• Like 2

@Scapexghost,Thank you for the idea. So, you feed mostly repashy with flakes and some frozen/freeze dried and vibra bites?

In the past, when I wanted to entice the fish in my big 75 gallon tank to eat medicated food, I have used flakes in repashy but when I added flakes a bit, it did not get as hard as it normally would be so I ended up sprinkled flakes on top before it really done setting. I kept it like 3 days in fridge but unsure how long it is good in the fridge if flakes were mixed in..

Any reasons why you do not feed pellets?

Today, I tried northfin community and it is round tiny pellets (0.5mm).I mainly put those for cory but saw a few green neon caught in the midway as it falls to the bottom.It looked still bit bigger than their mouth.

I am not sure if they keep pecking at it to eat at the place where they feel secure....

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, yassy said:

@Scapexghost,Thank you for the idea. So, you feed mostly repashy with flakes and some frozen/freeze dried and vibra bites?

In the past, when I wanted to entice the fish in my big 75 gallon tank to eat medicated food, I have used flakes in repashy but when I added flakes a bit, it did not get as hard as it normally would be so I ended up sprinkled flakes on top before it really done setting. I kept it like 3 days in fridge but unsure how long it is good in the fridge if flakes were mixed in..

Any reasons why you do not feed pellets?

Today, I tried northfin community and it is round tiny pellets (0.5mm).I mainly put those for cory but saw a few green neon caught in the midway as it falls to the bottom.It looked still bit bigger than their mouth.

I am not sure if they keep pecking at it to eat at the place where they feel secure....

My bad. When i say mix in, i just mean some days i feed flake, some days i feed repashy, etc.i don't literally mix them.

• Like 1

ok, I understood. I was not sure... For now, my goal is to find food my green neon gets excited about and find food they take it ok. I try all food one at a time and see if it is no go or not. I did not realize they do not come up to top to eat and since I was thinking I can feed them fry food and they come eat,it was interesting find.

On 7/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, yassy said:

For now, my goal is to find food my green neon gets excited about and find food they take it ok.

Mine seem to really like Xtream Krill flakes. When I bring out the container they crowd towards the glass like guppies. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:10 PM, yassy said:

Since they did not come to the top, I stirred the water on top part so flakes go sinking. Is it how you feed green neon tetra?? Or they are fish that mostly eat slow sinking pellet?

You can try cyclops.

It's from one of Cory's older vlog style videos where he feeds it and demonstrates it can stay in the water column a little bit easier instead of just sinking down. I would recommend feeding something like repashy also, just the powder, without turning it into a gel food. Sera sells o-nip tabs as well which is an awesome food for mid-water feeders and you can stick it to the glass.

If you feed flake, just try to break it into smaller bits so it has a tendency to stay afloat a little bit.

• Like 1

If you crush up the flakes as you put it in, the tiny pieces will float longer after they start sinking.  I have some tiny neon rasboras that I had to feed this way- tiny mouths and wouldn’t  go to surface to get food.  First bites from Hikari works too.  If they are big enough to try a nano pellet, I find the LFS nano pellet doesn’t sink as fast as some of the others.  More of it floats around once they start sinking.  Good luck!

Edited by _Eric_
  • Like 1

Thank you, @nabokovfan87.

I watch coop's youtube video but I do not remember the video you talked about. If you got link to, would you post it in here,please?

Also, when you come feed them,which spot in the tank do you put the food in? When I get closer, and lid open, green neon tetras scatter around the tank and go hide..

This morning,I tried back side where they might be hiding and front in case they come out sooner and see food in front but I cannot decide which spot is better.

It seems like if food fell onto the leaves of plants, they don't touch?? I may try live brine shrimp next thinking maybe they can find food easier?

Today, I tried to feed Dr Bassler Aloe (0.5mm size granule).I saw one of the 11 caught one piece and ate it but did not see others catch them....

@_Eric_  In my head, my plan was to feed food I normally feed our guppy fry;flakes, powder food, frozen food etc... I am not sure if they get used to me more, they would come out from hiding and easier for me to find the spot in the tank to feed as well as what works and what is not for them.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, yassy said:

I watch coop's youtube video but I do not remember the video you talked about. If you got link to, would you post it in here,please?

It's on one of the daily dose videos. I tried for an hour and some change to find it, but I can't.  It's on this playlist, I just don't know which specific video.  Sorry about that.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, yassy said:

Also, when you come feed them,which spot in the tank do you put the food in? When I get closer, and lid open, green neon tetras scatter around the tank and go hide..

Once you feed or once they associate you with food they should stop hiding. Essentially you're a big shadow and they are afraid of that initially.  My suggestion would be to approach the tank as normal and just stand there and wait. Let them get used to you. Drop a very small amount of food in the water, wait for them to come out, then feed them properly.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 Thank you very much.

When I was watching them coming out from hiding, I saw one of them had fuzz on its side.I actually noticed difference yesterday but I thought it was missing scale yesterday but today, it is definitely fuzz...

Should I pull him/her out asap just in case of Neon Tetra disease?

Or they are still here like from a few days so, I do not want to give them more stress or make them think I am their predator.... so, I should go ahead and treat with antibiotic like maracyn 2 for full tank and see if it helps?

I read neon tetra disease spread fast but, how would it spreads? Unless group does not eat the fish with disease, they are fine? Or is it like they are in the same water, they would get it if I did not take him/her away right away?

Wonder neon tetra disease is rare thing or common things... I was hoping I would not get one ..I hope it is just simple fungus and not neon tetra disease....

On 7/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, yassy said:

Should I pull him/her out asap just in case of Neon Tetra disease?

I would start here.

Very similar situation with some really good advice. 

I would recommend making a thread with photos and full details in the disease sections as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, yassy said:

..I hope it is just simple fungus and not neon tetra disease

If you go to the thread linked above, there is a video in it that Cory made about neon tetra disease. He said most of the time it is something that the quarantine trio is able to treat. It is more rare for it to actually be neon tetra disease. Doesn’t mean it isn’t neon tetra disease, it’s just more likely that it is something more common and he recommended trying the usual fish illness remedies first.

• Like 1

I watched the video.Thank you.

I was curious if it is something tetra disease or columnari or simple fungus.. Kind of difficult to differentiate between those...

I have never seen fuzz on fish body up until now. I did not want it to spread by sharing water with rest of the group so, I pulled the fish with fuzz out from the group and did water change.

I came here to ask feeding tips but looks like I maybe have to make another thread on disease area later.. I hope it is nothing serious....