Red cherry shrimp+ no air pump possible?

JL316

On 7/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, JL316 said:

I currently have a planted 40B and 20L that has no air pump.  Would it be possible to grow a rcs colony without the noise of air pump/bubbler?

I would recommend having the air pump and adjusting it so it's basically silent.  I have a tank next to me, it has 2 sponges and a ziss bubble bio, I can't hear it.  This isn't by choice. I am constantly looking over to make sure it actually has power to the air pump.  If you use something like a gang valve, the ziss airstones that you can adjust, you can tune it so you literally don't hear anything and have pretty awesome aeration.

I really don't recommend having a shrimp tank without air at minimum.  They will try to get out of the tank and find some flow, higher flow water, oxygenated water, and shrimp are pretty awesome are crawling around the house when they decide they want to.

The exchange would also benefit feeding the plants CO2.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

It's going to be more viable if the temperature is low 70s, or lower Fahrenheit. My betta tank cherry shrimp had a fairly constant stream of escapees. It had air through the sponge filters, but it was also around 80 degrees for the fish. Now that he has passed away, I stopped heating it, and they are much happier, no escaping anymore. Better oxygenation at lower Temps. So, doable but I'd imagine they would thrive with surface agitation.

• Like 1