First time quarantine tank and med trio usage journal

Garren

I wanted to journal my first time using a quarantine tank and med trio. Would like to get the best success with adding new fish to my community tank. 

Setup my tank and used a sponge that was already seasoned. Added beneficially bacteria to boost the cycle process. This tank has been setup now for 1 week and I continued to monitor the parameters. Everything is moving along. 

Today I received my CPD's from aqua huna. They came in very quick from the west to the east coast. Two days...amazing. Fish look very  healthy and were excited to get out of the bag after I acclimated them. After 1 hour in the tank they started to get their color in. I will be starting the med trio today as directed by @Coryas I want to give them their best shot. 

All my water change and equipment used on the tank will be separated from my community tank equipment so I do not get cross contamination. Learned that from one of @Irene videos.

I will continue to update as I progress through this new journey. Hopefully all turns out well as these are a fish I been wanting to keep for awhile now.🤞20201021_185906.jpg.68657b1ad8e11ef6a8f14de26ab43089.jpg20201021_185914.jpg.ba9906fd43d44244a7fa9b96d2e1e120.jpg

Edited by Garren B
  • Like 2

Update: Day 4 of quarantine and all is going well. Feed them just a little bit of first bits as I would feel bad not having them eat for 7 days. The are still very skittish but I am sure one they get in a tank were they can hid out a bit they will settle down. I try not to bug them to much. Only to check on tank parameters once a day.  

• Like 2

Day 6 of quarantine and the fish are doing great. Tomorrow I will be doing a 30% water change. I will have to review Cory's video again to refresh my memory on when to remedicate to catch any eggs from parasites. Other than that I will continue to monitor fish behavior and tank parameters. 

How long should I quarantine in total? 

• Like 1

Day 7 of quarantine. Today I changed out 30% of the water. Plus did a feeding. The fish were so happy to eat. I finally tested the water a few hours after water change and all is well. Fish are coloring up and look great. 

I will retreat paracleanse in 2 weeks to catch any adult tape worm eggs. Let them marinate in it for a week in it. Change water and monitor again for one week before putting in my display tank. At this point I don't think I missed anything. If you notice something I may have missed or should consider please let me know. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new to all this and have watched a lot of Cory's videos. 

I have my fish in the first week of QT did my med trio.  So far only lost 1 pygmy cory. 

My, water change will be on Wed.  I am not sure if I am supposed to medicate again?  Could I get some input on this please.   Thanks.  

44 minutes ago, Kaste said:

I am very new to all this and have watched a lot of Cory's videos. 

I have my fish in the first week of QT did my med trio.  So far only lost 1 pygmy cory. 

My, water change will be on Wed.  I am not sure if I am supposed to medicate again?  Could I get some input on this please.   Thanks.  

With the med trio the suggested quarantine procedure is to medicate for 1 week (no water changes during that period) and after that you are free to change the water. If during that week any fish showed symptoms of disease, it's recommended to follow the directions on the packaging for the medication specific to that disease (ex: if you start to see white cysts, follow the directions on the bottle of Ich-X). Most people will also give an "off" week during quarantine after the first week and then go through another round of General Cure/Paracleanse as the medication does not affected the eggs of internal parasites and the wait period allows those eggs to hatch (and be killed by the medication).

7 hours ago, Kaste said:

Ange covered most of it. I would recommend  waiting 2 weeks after the first week of medication and the water change. This is what Cory recommends. Also, make sure you are only feeding lightly during quarantine as it will help keep your tank parameters in check. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fish look amazing and went through the quarantine process very well. They are now in their new home with more fish to keep them company. So far they are doing well and getting familiar with the new surrounding. They do like having all the plants to zoom in and out of. 

The quarantine process was a great success and I plan on doing it every time. Now time to clean out the tank and put it away till next time. 

I actually have a question. I'm using the med trio for the first time and not really seeing how to use the ICH - X  for quarantine. the directions say "for as long as symptoms appear" but because i'm medicating for everything before the onset of symptoms, i'm not sure how i should dose the Ich-X. Do I use just one tsp on the first of 6 days? 1 tsp every day for 5 days doesn't sound right because i need to do a 1/3 water change before each additional dose of ICH-X but that conflicts with the maracyn and paracleanse which require a 25% water change on the 6th day only. I'm way overthinking it.

@Starburner This is straight from a blog post from Aquarium co-op. You can read the full version here. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio

Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn, 1 packet of ParaCleanse, and 1 U.S. teaspoon of Ich-X for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. (Ich-X does not stain aquarium decorations in our experience, but be careful not to spill it because it can stain your skin or clothing.) 

Let the fish soak in the medication, and do not feed them or change any water for 1 week. (If you feel you must feed your fish, wait until Day 4 or 5, and then only feed them very lightly.) You should keep the aquarium filter and heater on during this time. Also, aquarium lighting will not deactivate the medication.

After 1 week has passed, change out 30% of the water in the aquarium. Resume feeding the fish, keep the water quality high, and watch for any change in symptoms.

Added: Cory mentions in his video to wait 2 weeks and dose ParaCleanse one more time. 1 packet per 10 gallons. Wait 1 week then change out 30% water. I would then monitor for at least 1 more week while lightly feeding. 

Hope this helps clarify. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garren B said:

Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn

I was reading the June 1977 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine this morning.

IMG_3040.JPG.e92b6286dd13f4bd264366b107599554.JPG

And came across this add for Maracyn:

IMG_3039.JPG.109b474c7a0701c70112019a6a9e6a79.JPG

I didn't realize it has been around that long.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

@Garren Thank you for the link so I could fully read up on the proper use of the trio that @Corydoes.  I was wondering ...is this used only for fish? What if I am ordering in some shrimp or snails...do they get the meds too or just quarantine for observation for a few days? I know it says it is safe for all shrimp and invets but im asking is it necessary for them to be medicated in QT.

And while I think it wouldnt.. Ill ask anyway...does the meds hurt live plants?

Thank you all!

Edited by ARMYVET