How to get rid of assassin snails

Goldie Blue

I had two hitchhikers on my plants that I bought a year and a half ago when I established my 55 gallon tank. Now, the tank is filled with them, and I'd really rather have some nerites in there instead. How can I get rid of them humanely and be sure they are gone for good (I don't want to kill them). I know two places they lay eggs and have been brushing those off each week with my water change. Will this tank ever be safe to add nerites to, or will it always be infested with assassin snails?

Try to find a club or LFS that will take them. Maybe even give you money for them. I have never owned assassins however my lfs has a display tank that assassins and nerites have live in together for years. I once asked how the nerite was safe and they told me they keep the assassins well fed with bladder snails.  If they are thriving in your tank there is obviously a food source for them. Removing the bulk of them there may be a good chance they will not go after the larger nerites.  Hopefully others with actual assassin experience will chime in with better info. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, Goldie Blue said:

I had two hitchhikers on my plants that I bought a year and a half ago when I established my 55 gallon tank. Now, the tank is filled with them, and I'd really rather have some nerites in there instead. How can I get rid of them humanely and be sure they are gone for good (I don't want to kill them). I know two places they lay eggs and have been brushing those off each week with my water change. Will this tank ever be safe to add nerites to, or will it always be infested with assassin snails?

Pictures of your snails, please?

If you can't find a LFS to purchase, you can find some online buyers. Your line of assassins have excellent coloration, good shell development, and I am willing to bet (based on your substrate) they eat more than just 'pest snails'. Bet you never see detritus worm or any other 'pests' in your tank. My tank with breeding assassins (have you seen their egg sacs? So cute!!!) may be one of the healthiest tanks I have ever maintained with healthy plants, a balance between plants/snails/fish/blackworms, and (knock on wood) has been doing a pretty good job of the critters keeping things in proportion.