Betta eggy, lethargic not acting normal

Lauren A

Hi, I am helping my Mom out with her betta.  Her female betta Lily gets “eggy” from time to time.  She’s approx 1 year old, maybe less.  She’s never had any health issues and is always a very happy sociable betta fish.  When she gets eggs, she has always been able to release and reabsorb them naturally.  

Unfortunately over the last week + she has been very bloated with eggs.  We’ve withheld food for several days to see if this helps, but it has not.  She did not overeat. I’ve had bettas for years but always males, so I’m not familia with how to deal with this.  She’s been totally fine up until today. She is lethargic, depressed and just doesn’t look well because she’s so big and she just is not acting like her normal sociable happy self.  Through online research I read raising the temp helps.  I also read that rarely they can become egg bound, which is my fear.

Mom did a good wc today.  We raised the temp from its normal 81 to 81.5.  She’s in a 10 gallon planted tank.  Gets weekly water changes and cleanings.  Tank has been up and running for over a year.  She was purchased from a chain store back in November 2021.  She has one tank mate - a horned nerite snail.  All parameters are in check.  No ammonia or nitrites, nitrates 5ppm post wc

I will attach a couple pics of her from today.  Maybe someone could help us determine what can be done if anything?  I can set up a hospital if necessary.  I don’t want to stress her in her current state.  She’s been spending most of her time hiding at the bottom of the tank.  She ate 5 betta pellets earlier today, but like mentioned before, we did fast her for 3 days to see if this would help.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

DA2A2FAD-6956-4649-B0C3-ABA1240077BC.png

01367B71-2E96-4171-B083-16B5DF369575.jpeg

Edited by Lauren A
Forgot to attach pics

What I would do is EPSOM salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for a Couple of days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants it will help with any possible constipation or if she egg bound

Thank you so much.  I will do that.  I really appreciate your help.  

On 7/8/2022 at 7:19 AM, Colu said:

What I would do is EPSOM salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for a Couple of days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants it will help with any possible constipation or if she egg bound