Why are emerald dwarf rasbora not more popular.

Guppysnail

I really want these guys. I do not want to order in the heat. Many lfs within a reasonable driving distance have all said they never get them because no one buys them. No one at either club I joined keeps them. 

Am I missing something? They appear to be easy to keep. Are they prone to issues I have not read about or do I just like a fish others don’t?  

Borrowed internet pic 

F0DA2B46-21D8-46C3-8742-92C52F08ECD3.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Dude these guys are sick! That’s a good question! I don’t believe I’ve seen them at my lfs (I’m basically new to fish I only have a african clawed frog I rescued and some nerite snails) I’m currently looking into stocking a 10gal tank with some Nano fish and these guys would be perfect.

• Like 1

I’ve ordered them online and had good luck with them. I’ve haven’t had any issues. They do stay super small, which could be why no one buys them. They “disappear” in a large tank and to see the colors you have to get so, so close - and they are pretty shy (they know just about anything could eat them). I like them, but I probably won’t get more unless I purposely keep a desktop nano tank, as they are so hard to appreciate in anything bigger than like 5 gallons, especially if it is planted.

• Thanks 1

hard to say, but i think when folks look at that type of fish it is between the emeralds, and CPD's, and well the CPD's are just stunning (at least in my opinion). when i got my CPD's it was almost a toss up between them and the emeralds, but the celestials just look so much like a brook trout, i had to go with them.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, lefty o said:

hard to say, but i think when folks look at that type of fish it is between the emeralds, and CPD's, and well the CPD's are just stunning (at least in my opinion). when i got my CPD's it was almost a toss up between them and the emeralds, but the celestials just look so much like a brook trout, i had to go with them.

Agreed. I have both and the CPDs are braver, more visible and just a tad bigger. Out of the two, the CPDs are my preferred fish.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, ccc24 said:

I’ve ordered them online and had good luck with them. I’ve haven’t had any issues. They do stay super small, which could be why no one buys them. They “disappear” in a large tank and to see the colors you have to get so, so close - and they are pretty shy (they know just about anything could eat them). I like them, but I probably won’t get more unless I purposely keep a desktop nano tank, as they are so hard to appreciate in anything bigger than like 5 gallons, especially if it is planted.

I keep my CPD as only fish other than pleco in a 40b and a 20l with only Pygmy cory. They go from shy to “this is our tank” in your face. So I’m hoping these guys will be the same. 

On 7/7/2022 at 11:53 AM, lefty o said:

I can see this. It was a toss up for me a few years ago between these and CPD, I got CPD but I still want these as well. I’m also guessing like CPD they have no color and look awful in stores. 

Don't forget that different regions seem to have preferences (salt water, cichlids, etc.). Also planted aquariums are not necessarily the norm (in the us), I believe, yet. They may not look that good in the store compared to a lot of the more popular fish seen in box stores (guppies, mollies etc.) and thus are not as often purchased.

If you want them, get some and try it out. Start the craze in your city. 😉

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Thanks 1