Sick angelfish

Rusty Sprinkler

Ive had angelfish that are perfectly healthy suddenly shy away from food and stop eating altogether until they die. I currently have 3 of 6 in the same tank doing this. 7.4 PH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite water temp 80 degrees, weekly water changes and dose of prime. Ive moved the 3 sick fish to quarantine tanks ,doing salt  treatment. Offered flakes, frozen shrimp, frozen bloodworms, live micro worms, they swim up to the food like they are hungry then turn and back away. Anyone seen this before ? Ideas what to try. Thanks !!

With some of the behaviour your describing and the fact their not eating it could be internal parasites what I would do you is treat with levamisole that's the active ingredient in Fritz Expel p what I would do is dose once a week  after 24hr do a water change and repeat for a total of 3 treatments one week a part 

Edited by Colu

On 7/7/2022 at 7:53 AM, Colu said:

With some of the behaviour your describing and the fact their not eating it could be internal parasites what I would do you is treat with levamisole that's the active ingredient in Fritz Expel p what I would do is dose once a week  after 24hr do a water change and repeat for a total of 3 treatments one week a part 

Thank you Colu for your reply. I did not consider parasites. but that makes perfect sense. No outwardly sign of anything wrong, but I did notice today the older of the 3 is a little bloated and breathing a bit heavy. Fritz was not available in my area but API general cure was so I dosed with that until I can get some Fritz. Always learning ...

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

So just an update.... I moved the 3 sick angels to a quarantine tank at the time of original post. Since then after 3 rounds of general cure per instructions, the larger of the 3 ( about 50 cent piece size ) has recovered and is eating and gaining size nicely, I moved him/her to a twenty gallon tall by itself. The smallest of the 3 died yesterday never took another bite of food. The middle one ( quarter size ) started pecking at micro worms 2 days ago and will inhale fresh guppy fry but refuses to eat all other offered foods ( I only had 2 guppy fry at the time ). This fish is in the original quarantine tank by itself, I did add a little group of guppies... comments /thoughts ?????

Thanks !

As general cure hasn't  worked  I would treat with Fritz Expel p I would treat both remaining fish even no the other one has improved and you could try soaking his food in garlic guard to help simulate his appetite

Edited by Colu
Missing word

On 7/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, Colu said:

As general cure  worked  I would treat with Fritz Expel p I would treat both remaining fish even no the other one has improved and you could try soaking his food in garlic guard to help simulate his appetite

Thanks for your reply. I've never had this problem with any of the fish I've ever kept....but shows up in the angels only, so now Im obsessed with figuring it out LOL. I used the general cure because I could get it LFS, fritz I have to order, since I learned general cure treats certain parasites and fritz treats the others ?????? So the fritz at this point would make sure I treated ALL parasites ???? would the treatment plan be the same for the angel that is eating as well as the angel that is not eating ???

Yes it would be the same treatment plan for both angelfish When treating with fritz Expel p you dose once leave 24 hr do a water change and repeat in week you want to  three course of treatment over 3 weeks

Edited by Colu

• 4 weeks later...

Update to update ... I treated the two remaining angels with fritz expel per instructions, both regained eating and adding size in their quarantine tanks, however neither one seemed happy in quarantine. after 2 weeks of eating I moved them to the main angel tank and they both are thriving ! Looking back I should have started the fritz much earlier, I will know better if there is a next time ! THANK YOU !

• Like 2