How often to deworm puffers?

Suzanne

Hello, 

I've had my pea puffers for about a year. I treated them with Expel P when I first got them during their quarantine. I transferred them into their new tank. 

They eat baby snails occasionally, bloodwork and brine shrimp regularly. 

I've noticed 2 puffers getting thinner than they were. My question is, how often do y'all treat your puffers for parasites? Is it a matter of course based on the foods they eat or is it on a needs must basis? 

Thank you.

• Like 1

Welcome @Suzanne  Thanks@nabokovfan87 

I do the med trio on new arrivals and then observe. If it is a fish I keep in an outdoor pond for summer they get the trio on return inside and are observed again like a new purchase.

I'm a big believer in any of the vitamin liquids like vitachem to potentially limiting  deficiencies in nutrition. I buy this one personally and add it in repashy or soak frozen foods in it prior to feeding. Ill even add a little to the food I give my ramshorns and trumpet snails prior to feeding them to my puffers.  At a minimum its giving a bit more nutrition to the puffers.  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/vita-chem.

The garlic extracts are also something I use. The below reference is a study on garlic vs parasites in guppies published in Veterinary Parasitology, Volume 203, Issues 1–2, 16 June 2014, Pages 51-58. It is one peer reviewed study on garlic as a treatment vs parasites in ornamental fish. 

I have no clue how settled it is but at least anecdotally parasites  including aquatic ones, are not a huge fan of garlic. And it does seem to help encourage picky eaters when I add a little in my repashy mix or to my frozen food soaks.

Reference 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304401714000752

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/7/2022 at 12:31 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Welcome @Suzanne  Thanks@nabokovfan87 

I do the med trio on new arrivals and then observe. If it is a fish I keep in an outdoor pond for summer they get the trio on return inside and are observed again like a new purchase.

I'm a big believer in any of the vitamin liquids like vitachem to potentially limiting  deficiencies in nutrition. I buy this one personally and add it in repashy or soak frozen foods in it prior to feeding. Ill even add a little to the food I give my ramshorns and trumpet snails prior to feeding them to my puffers.  At a minimum its giving a bit more nutrition to the puffers.  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/vita-chem.

The garlic extracts are also something I use. The below reference is a study on garlic vs parasites in guppies published in Veterinary Parasitology, Volume 203, Issues 1–2, 16 June 2014, Pages 51-58. It is one peer reviewed study on garlic as a treatment vs parasites in ornamental fish. 

I have no clue how settled it is but at least anecdotally parasites  including aquatic ones, are not a huge fan of garlic. And it does seem to help encourage picky eaters when I add a little in my repashy mix or to my frozen food soaks.

Reference 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304401714000752

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed to hear to get my butt in gear.

I've have been hesitating for no valid reason on buying vitamins and trying repashy.

Thanks for your thpughtful reply,  I appreciate it. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another pea puffer question...has anyone had a blind pea puffer? I got a group of 8 last time, 2 died. They were all very thin and didn't make quarantine.  One of them that I thought might not make it, has made it, but he's always been rather pale with black eyes. He's feisty enough, but, watching him feed, I think he may be blind. He is not good at directly grabbing his food, I have to dangle it right at him. He has no yellow or green coloration, and as I said, his eyes are solid black. Thanks.