Nate s

Bought a pair of apisto cacatoides  a month ago and didn’t think they were big enough to breed yet. I have been scooping out mosquito larvae from an outdoor pond and been feeding live recently. I don’t have any live foods for the fry but have some fry food (hikari first bites). In a tank 3-4 months old with some clumpy hair looking algae, plants, catalpa leaves and mulm. Sponge filter is a year plus and has clumpy algae growing on it. will there be enough infusoria for fry to Scavenge? Are first bites pretty good for apisto fry? Anyone have experience without live foods? 

Edited by Nate s

You will have more fry survive on live food. Bbs is key but you can use frozen bbs. The key is that they are the baby brine and not the frozen adults. You will still get fry off off flakes but much better results off the live/frozen bbs. In a pinch the instant ocean bbs will work but it has a short shelf life of two weeks from opening. ThatS why I always keep frozen bbs on hand . Also live plants will have some forms of live food. But apisto fry will stay on the bottom so you’ll need the plants to be on the bottom . Java moss works well for this . Best of luck 

• Like 2