Chili rasboras starting to look transparent

Lbn

I just noticed 2 out of 6 chili rasboras are starting to look transparent and noticed the other ‘healthier looking’ rasboras starting to chase them.  Water parameters have been stable over past 8 months since having them.  I don’t think the picks really show how pale they are.  The only thing that did change was adding potassium about 3 days a week for the plants.  Any suggestions?  Thanx418727EE-7B1A-4152-8325-37B2E0DD575B.jpeg.115d3711cd067c09e1dc1e02769a3079.jpeg48219863-FF16-4111-B3CE-26F0D3AE8B09.jpeg.f0aa323cde2599f739db8a84427cd984.jpeg9ED3F6F2-12E7-481B-B2ED-CE912F0733EE.jpeg.3e2ac407ebe88e68c111934b52e004aa.jpeg

On 7/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, Lbn said:

I just noticed 2 out of 6 chili rasboras are starting to look transparent and noticed the other ‘healthier looking’ rasboras starting to chase them.

This might be a few males and some of them are trying to become subdominant.  If they are pale / washed out it can be normal, but you'd expect coloration on them in some fashion.  I have had issues with fish being washed out previously and I know how troubling it can feel.  It can also be that they have an increased slime coat and seem pale, but what you're seeing is that they might have a thicker slime coat for some reason.

Can you let us know about your feeding, send us a photo of what the scape looks like?  Do the fish have a place to go where they can feel safe away from the other males?

Are the other water parameters testing fine?

I feel they have some hiding spots, scape is currently a little over grown.  

i have 6 residing in 5 gallon (I know dreadful) 

On average feed them 2-3 times a day with alternating with aquarium co-op fry food, north fin fry food, they were getting brine shrimp but ran out about a month and will be starting live daphnia hopefully in next week or 2.  

water parameters nh3-0. Nitrate 0 nitrate ranges about 30 to 40.  Kh 4 gh 6. Ph about 7. This has been the same for about 8 months and matches the supplier’s reported water  parameters.  I change 10-20% water about once a week

i did notice this morning that there is one male that is super bright compared to others.  I believe the other pale fish may be a female given she doesn’t have the red spots on tail.  I believe the other pale chili is a male, he has the red spots on his tail fin but not as developed as the other ones. 

Had nightmares last night that I would find them floating upside down in tank this morning.  They kinda grow on you lol

i will decrease vs stop potassium since plants exploded in growth and see if that helps too

Other occupants are some cherry shrimp and a million snails that just don’t stop multiplying lol image.jpg.45d7f6ad38b3219fc334063edece64ce.jpg

Sorry autocorrect: suppose to be zero nitrite 

• Like 1