Algae Outbreak - Brown Diatom?

This may sound weird, but...I've never actually had an algae outbreak before. And I've been keeping tanks on and off for two decades. So, I don't have a whole lot of experience with algae. Does this look like brown diatom algae to you?

532508FC-BDEF-48D5-8CB8-36E69B26104B.jpeg.c3eb1fdab3ff29470173cf945923e3fb.jpeg

I've got a newer open-top 29 g planted tank that finished cycling a week ago and hasn't read any nitrites since. 2.5-3" of Sand capping ecocomplete (in the ecocomplete is a light dusting of soil/earthworm castings). Most of the plants were cuttings and are still getting themselves situated, and likely don't have much in the way of roots yet (but the four-leaf clover has been spreading like crazy). I also have floating plants (red root floaters) and a bunch of plants growing out top riparium style. Nitrates hardly ever read above 10, and I dose EZ-GREEN about two or three times a week to keep it that high. (Root tabs are in the habit of squirelling out of the sand and making me think my tank has been taken over by freaky white gel 😆. So I'm switching back to the non-gel capsules). Running a Hygger full-spectrum on a 12-hour cycle, peak intensity. 

The algae is only on one side of the glass (for now), and only the rocks on the left half. Sunlight does hit that side from a window. The light is in the middle and hits both sides of the tank equally.

There's two amano shrimp in there and several baby mystery snails who've been making a tiny dent. (It's hard to tell if they're consuming it or just leaving a snail-shaped trail like a little squeegee 😆 either way, they're adorable to watch--I'm keeping an eye out for secret messages). One shrimp took a whack at it before getting disgusted and returned to her work cleaning driftwood.

7ABF497E-B6B4-4E9D-BA94-67E5B7F90634.jpeg.b9e7eaf6132eae9e8493cd277d18598e.jpeg

I picked up a pair of nerites this morning, because I'm used to mysteries but wanted to try out some nerites because....I just love snails. 🤷‍♂️ Too soon to tell if they plan on going to work on it yet.

F7654016-E09B-4138-82AD-B2BA8C74FC5E.jpeg.b14d4c94891cdd91594c845746a767cf.jpeg

I'm not, like, "Oh, god! Algae! Kill it with fire!" I just don't want to get into a situation where it harms my plants or something else. Also, I can't really...see in as much as I'd like? 

I figure the tank is still getting balanced, but I'd appreciate any insights from the community before I just....go in there with a paper towel or blow torch or something. I tend to overcompensate for problems and make them worse half the time. 😂

Thanks for reading! 🐌

Editing to add: hot dang, those nerites are going to WORK on that glass!

748BDFC8-0DC5-430F-9693-AF9791CDBE04.jpeg.1150e83717065751e7ad406a283d2dac.jpeg

CAFCA9C3-2E7D-437F-A969-B29A0740FF30.jpeg

Edited by DarthMollusk

I think @Katherine knows what brown diatoms look like? 

And the nerites are going to amaze you. Go to bed and then look at your tank in the morning. They are very efficient!  (oh but if you ended up with females, they will lay eggs on the glass at some point.  They can't hatch though. They will only hatch in brackish.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

That looks like brown diatoms to me. It should clear up on its own between time and the snails. Also, that definitely looks like 'I'm eating it' tracks from your small snails, not just moving through it. See how it's kind of back and forth?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, SandBkeeper said:

If the algae isn't on the plants and only the glass and rocks, maybe you could just wipe it so you can see? As long as the algae isn't covering the plants so they can photosynthesize, the plants should be fine.

I did wipe off a bit to install some suction cups (for reasons 😆) and it came off very easily. So that's something at least! (But the nerites seem to be enjoying it, so I'll leave them to it)

On 7/5/2022 at 11:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I think @Katherine knows what brown diatoms look like? 

And the nerites are going to amaze you. Go to bed and then look at your tank in the morning. They are very efficient!  (oh but if you ended up with females, they will lay eggs on the glass at some point.  They can't hatch though. They will only hatch in brackish.)

The nerites are already amazing me after an hour! I did try to squint real hard at the store tank for any signs of eggs, and I didn't see them. But if they do show up, it's a small price to pay for all that work!

On 7/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Katherine said:

That looks like brown diatoms to me. It should clear up on its own between time and the snails. Also, that definitely looks like 'I'm eating it' tracks from your small snails, not just moving through it. See how it's kind of back and forth?

Oh, you're right! It's so hard to see with the babies, but that is the exact sort of pattern the adults make when their cruising along and munching on something. 

I'm a big fan of anything that can be fixed with time and snails 😆

On 7/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, DarthMollusk said:

I did try to squint real hard at the store tank for any signs of eggs, and I didn't see them. But if they do show up, it's a small price to pay for all that work!

It's called bedazzling your tank.  🙂 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Katherine said:

Also, that definitely looks like 'I'm eating it' tracks

I think the tracks look cool.

• Like 1