Is this Velvet or Epistylis!?

Britney

I’m not sure what to do! My sharks are covered in this stuff, some people are saying it’s velvet others saying Epistylis. Originally thought it was ick so started putting ick medicine in the tank. Some of the other fish aren’t eating and one of the black sharks we have is constantly swimming in the air bubble part. I don’t know how to treat this as I get products from petsmart. 

80158202-D330-4593-B866-A600F3A55498.jpeg

25C0C026-2F4C-4696-A130-D92AFFC62831.jpeg

759289FA-1D56-4E95-87B7-D46013BB9AFD.jpeg

I don't think that's Epistylis What you want to get is Fritz copper safe it's treat's ich and velvet it's not shrimp or snail safe and start treatment as soon as possible in the meantime keep treating with ich medication that has the active ingredient malachite green or Victor green for now as it can slow the spread of velvet 

Screenshot_20220705-170032~2.png

• Like 1

I’ll check petsmart for this. I read online for the velvet that you can’t mix medicine with the ick medicine? But I guess this one is diffeeent. We did take the charcoal bags out of the pump as the directions said to do that with the ick medicine. We got super ick from petsmart 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, Britney said:

I’ll check petsmart for this. I read online for the velvet that you can’t mix medicine with the ick medicine? But I guess this one is diffeeent. We did take the charcoal bags out of the pump as the directions said to do that with the ick medicine. We got super ick from petsmart 

Once you get the copper safe stop treating with the ich medication as copper safe treats ich and velvet that should set you on the right path 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, Britney said:

I just ordered it off Amazon will get it tomorrow morning. Thank you!

I for got to mention you will need a copper test kit to test the levels of copper in your tank to make sure you keep the copper levels  at a therapeutic level 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, Britney said:

I might have one if not I’ll get one. What is is supposed to be at? I guess the water kit will tell me 

I can't remember what it is of the top of my head it does say  on the medication the therapeutic level of copper you need to keep it at