Sterbai Cory Fungus?

SandBkeeper

About 2-3 weeks ago, we got some new sterbai cories. We put them in quarantine without any meds, but they all seemed to be doing okay and we trusted the store we got them from. After about 2 weeks, we found 1 dead cory for no apparent reason. I thought it was just a weaker fish, and decided to put them in the main community tank. We originally got 8, but when transferring I only found 6, which meant another died without being found. Now one or two cories seem to have a fungus infection. I moved one fish, who is much worse off, to a 10 gallon hospital tank.  Here are some pics

ImageImage

The other cory only has opaque spots, without the fuzz. 

I think it's fungus, and was wondering what to treat it with. We have aquarium salt and Ich X from a really really long time ago. My questions:

1. Does Ich X expire?

2. Does it help with fungal infections?

3. If not, would aquarium salt be okay for cories? I read that they don't tolerate it as well. 

4. What meds would you use to treat this?

Thanks for all your help in advance

On 7/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, SandBkeeper said:

1. Does Ich X expire?

You are safe to use it.

2. Does it help with fungal infections?

Yes, it has a few things that treat a few illnesses. Fungus is specifically one of those.

Commonly used to treat:

• Ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis)
  • Velvet (Gold Dust Disease)
  • Saproleniasis (Cotton Wool Disease)
  • Trichondiniasis 
  • Fungal Issues
  • Protozoan Caused Diseases 

3. If not, would aquarium salt be okay for cories? I read that they don't tolerate it as well. 

Salt will help with treatment, especially because it's external. The cories will be fine with salt. I just dosed mine with the "level 2" and they had no issues.  You can safely try level 1 if you have any concern.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

4. What meds would you use to treat this?

I would treat with Ich-X, Maracyn / Erythromycin (same thing), as well as salt.  I would follow the directions on the back of the box for Maracyn as well as Ich-X

You might treat the fungus itself and then present with open sores which could lead down a bacterial infection. This is why I would use both meds in this case in addition to the salt.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot. I dosed the tank (10g) with 3 tbsp of salt and 5mL of Ich X as per recommendations. I haven't seen the cory yet today, so I hope I wasn't too late. I'll update you guys later. 

Also, the directions on the IchX bottle says to do at least a1/3rd water change before adding more, and to dose everyday. How do you all do daily water changes with salt? Wondering if I should prepare water with the same salinity and then change water. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, anewbie said:

don't treat yet; meds are harsh. Give it a couple of weeks - it looks like (picture not very good) a small scrape with a touch of fungus; as the scrape heals the fungus will go away.

The fungus has been there already for a week or two. It was getting a lot worse, which is why I asked for help with meds. 

I still haven't seen the cory, which makes me worried that I was too late or the meds were too harsh and tipped it over. I'll check again later. 

Edited by SandBkeeper
Another thing to add

I finally found it, but it was already dead. Oh well. 

I'm not sure if it was already on it's way out or if the meds stressed it out too much. But now another cory has developed fungus on its gill. I'm a little bit scared to try meds again, so I think I'll leave it. Does anyone have any advice for me?