How to know if you getting a good source of live black worms

Leo2o915

On 7/3/2022 at 8:39 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Like a safe source  

Ah, I wasn't sure if you meant different sources or different kinds of worms.

Almost all the blackworms you can buy in the US come from the same farm in Fresno, CA. If you're collecting wild blackworms, that's always a gamble. Seems like healthy blackworms are super dark in color. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 8:59 PM, modified lung said:

Ah, I wasn't sure if you meant different sources or different kinds of worms.

Almost all the blackworms you can buy in the US come from the same farm in Fresno, CA. If you're collecting wild blackworms, that's always a gamble. Seems like healthy blackworms are super dark in color. 

Gotcha so my local fish store is good then 

• Like 1

No one in my area of north Ga seems to have them so where would be a great source to get them as googling leads to a gazzillion sites and options. Some say leach free. which was scary to someone who’s never gotten live foods before. Don’t want to introduce anything bad to my tanks

On 7/4/2022 at 5:00 AM, Georgiapeach88 said:

No one in my area of north Ga seems to have them so where would be a great source to get them as googling leads to a gazzillion sites and options. Some say leach free. which was scary to someone who’s never gotten live foods before. Don’t want to introduce anything bad to my tanks

I've never ordered them online so idk. Definitely go leech free though. There's a type of leech that will eat blackworms alive.

• Sad 1

I QT my blackworms in the fridge, in a container with a lid that has a vent for good oxygen exchange. I rinse my blackworms daily with dechlorinated water I keep in the fridge specifically for rinsing and water changes for them.

After 2 weeks QT I have identified and removed anything other than blackworms (decades of getting blackworms I have found exactly 3 leeches and 2 dragonfly larvae... more likely to see planaria but even those have been rare in the cultures I bought).

Just like buying worms for reptiles, the key is to gutload the black worms while they are in the fridge and getting cleaned every day, because we have no idea what they were in before they come to us.

Blanched dark leafy greens, cucmber, squash, carrots, etc are great, nutrient dense worm foods. Change the food out daily, and slice paper thin to encourage eating.

Once QT has been completed, allow them to *slowly* acclimate to tank temperature. Slowly is key, as blackworms are very sensitive to temperature changes. Strain the blackworms once they are acclimated and put them in the tanks.

Conversely, you can keep the culture in the fridge indefinitely, as long as you rinse them and give them fresh water every other day, and fresh food. Just feed as many as your fish will eat.

I like to seed new tanks with black worms a good month before I add fish, so the fish have a live in buffet to graze off of. If they bite a worm in half and at least part gets away, you generally end up with a replacement worm.

So, win-win

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone stated above, most if not all the blackworms sold in LFS or online come from one or two farms here in the US. The ads for leech free are misleading, as I have never gotten a batch of blackworms that didn't have a few leeches in with the worms. When I get worms in, I rinse under cold water. If you have city water, you will want to fill a gallon jug or tow and pre-treat it and either leave it someplace cool or put in fridge to cool. I am lucky in that I have well water and can just rinse under tap water. I use a large low flat rubbermaid or sterilte container to keep them in, you don't want the worms in a thick layer or they will suffocate, I keep an inch or so of water in the container, with the worms, and keep in fridge. Once the worms are in the container spread out, you will be able to see the leeches, and can pick them out with tweezers if you like. I only pick out the larger ones, and leave the small ones for my fish to eat along with the worms. I have sprinkled spirulina powder on the water before to gut load the worms, I'm not sure how much it helps or not. You have to rinse the worms daily, just dump them and the water into a fine mesh net and run some cold water over them, and put back into the container with fresh cold water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:46 AM, Torrey said:

I QT my blackworms in the fridge, in a container with a lid that has a vent for good oxygen exchange. I rinse my blackworms daily with dechlorinated water I keep in the fridge specifically for rinsing and water changes for them.

After 2 weeks QT I have identified and removed anything other than blackworms (decades of getting blackworms I have found exactly 3 leeches and 2 dragonfly larvae... more likely to see planaria but even those have been rare in the cultures I bought).

Just like buying worms for reptiles, the key is to gutload the black worms while they are in the fridge and getting cleaned every day, because we have no idea what they were in before they come to us.

Blanched dark leafy greens, cucmber, squash, carrots, etc are great, nutrient dense worm foods. Change the food out daily, and slice paper thin to encourage eating.

Once QT has been completed, allow them to *slowly* acclimate to tank temperature. Slowly is key, as blackworms are very sensitive to temperature changes. Strain the blackworms once they are acclimated and put them in the tanks.

Conversely, you can keep the culture in the fridge indefinitely, as long as you rinse them and give them fresh water every other day, and fresh food. Just feed as many as your fish will eat.

I like to seed new tanks with black worms a good month before I add fish, so the fish have a live in buffet to graze off of. If they bite a worm in half and at least part gets away, you generally end up with a replacement worm.

So, win-win

On 7/5/2022 at 6:27 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

As someone stated above, most if not all the blackworms sold in LFS or online come from one or two farms here in the US. The ads for leech free are misleading, as I have never gotten a batch of blackworms that didn't have a few leeches in with the worms. When I get worms in, I rinse under cold water. If you have city water, you will want to fill a gallon jug or tow and pre-treat it and either leave it someplace cool or put in fridge to cool. I am lucky in that I have well water and can just rinse under tap water. I use a large low flat rubbermaid or sterilte container to keep them in, you don't want the worms in a thick layer or they will suffocate, I keep an inch or so of water in the container, with the worms, and keep in fridge. Once the worms are in the container spread out, you will be able to see the leeches, and can pick them out with tweezers if you like. I only pick out the larger ones, and leave the small ones for my fish to eat along with the worms. I have sprinkled spirulina powder on the water before to gut load the worms, I'm not sure how much it helps or not. You have to rinse the worms daily, just dump them and the water into a fine mesh net and run some cold water over them, and put back into the container with fresh cold water. 

All great info much appreciated 

• 1 month later...