Can this java fern be saved?

Hi @Reis2,

Sure!  I've gone so far as to remove all the leaves from a rhizome, attach it to hardscape, and new leaves emerge from the rhizome and form a lush mat.
I will say the roots are looking a little 'sickly', are you using good fertilizer(s) for your plants? -Roy

Java Fern (Leptochilus [previous Microsorum] pteropus) 'Trident' new leaves just growing out
1220239731_2010-04-2730Gallon002Sn.JPG.23202b5a4909ad7988c0aefe8fb83041.JPG

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist

On 7/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Reis2,

Sure!  I've gone so far as to remove all the leaves from a rhizome, attach it to hardscape, and new leaves emerge from the rhizome and form a lush mat.
I will say the roots are looking a little 'sickly', are you using good fertilizer(s) for your plants? -Roy

Java Fern (Leptochilus [previous Microsorum] pteropus) 'Trident' new leaves just growing out
1220239731_2010-04-2730Gallon002Sn.JPG.23202b5a4909ad7988c0aefe8fb83041.JPG

Thanks for the reply!  I’ve been using easy green, one dose a week.  But I r had it in the original rock wool all month.  The root systems were all tangled, so I unwrapped them and pruned the stems of the dead leaves.  Any tips on promoting recovery? Should I just trim it all down to the rhizome or leave some of the leaves that still have spots of green?

Hi @Reis2, I copied your photo to Photoshop and looked closely at the plants. Have you had a big change in your tank? Because it looks like new shoots were coming up. Had you noticed them before they turned black? Did they all turn black fairly quickly? I'm asking because if you just cut off the leaves and ask the rhizome/roots to grow but the reason they turned black in the first place is still present you might get the same result if any grow at all. Were the small leaves getting bigger or did they just stop? I should have asked if you have any other plants in that tank, and are they healthy and green? Sorry if I sound bossy, I'm really curious!

On 7/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, Reis2 said:

Thanks for the reply!  I’ve been using easy green, one dose a week.  But I r had it in the original rock wool all month.  The root systems were all tangled, so I unwrapped them and pruned the stems of the dead leaves.  Any tips on promoting recovery? Should I just trim it all down to the rhizome or leave some of the leaves that still have spots of green?

Hi @Reis2

If those were mine I would trim off the old leaves, trim the roots to about 1/2" in length, and then superglue the rhizomes (2 - 3 drops) to hardscape (typically I use wood but stone works too).  It will take 2 - 3 weeks but you should start to see new leaves emerge from the rhizome.  -Roy

• Like 1