Greetings From Vancouver

DBM

Hi folks

Hi from Vancouver!  This is a great forum and for now I'll have to feed the addiction remotely as my career has kept me out of town on a regular basis for the last few years. 

Like Dean I get my kicks out of breeding fish, last time I was home for a few months I was working with an assortment of egg scatters so I may be able to help in that regard.  I have an education and background in aquaculture, around 15 years in the ornamental fish trade. (retail, wholesale breeding and as a supplier of adult artemia).  I would consider myself an advanced hobbiest and if I can help anyone please feel free to shoot me a message as I work long hrs when out of town.  I've been around the trade for long enough to see it become significantly less popular and I appreciate Cory's tireless work ethic in promoting fishkeeping.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard! I’ll ask for your input on something right off. Can you share a reliable plan for successfully bringing Artemia to adulthood in a small home aquarium? I hatch BBS every day. On occasions, I wish I could bring a tank of them to adult size in order to feed to some adult cichlids. The sites I’ve consulted and YouTube videos I’ve explored haven’t worked out.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:16 PM, Fish Folk said:

Welcome aboard! I’ll ask for your input on something right off. Can you share a reliable plan for successfully bringing Artemia to adulthood in a small home aquarium? I hatch BBS every day. On occasions, I wish I could bring a tank of them to adult size in order to feed to some adult cichlids. The sites I’ve consulted and YouTube videos I’ve explored haven’t worked out.

Welcome! 
this is an excellent question (and also a problem I’m trying to solve). 

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, ccc24 said:

Welcome! 
this is an excellent question (and also a problem I’m trying to solve). 

This will be more difficult on a smaller scale because you won't be able to implement proper filtration.   Every time the artemia molt into a different instar stage you're going to have more waste.  They can be raised to adulthood using batch cultures but every 8-10 days you will have to scoop them out and feed them or transfer them to a new batch of water to keep them in, due to poor water quailty.  I would start with a very small batch of eggs, hatch them out and feed them very small amounts twice a day.  I used graded plant based flours with a fair amount of success but spirulina flour works well as does green water which is easier on your water quality.