Came home to a dead light

Kyle Knox

Came home to a dead light,

-finnex planted plus 24/7cc

New as of this year (would hopefully be under warranty) tried swapping it to a different outlet tried swapping the battery’s in the remote to no avail the tank has a glass cover (it couldn’t have gotten wet) it was plugged into a surge protector and the power never went out so I’m not sure everything appears to be normal other than the light not turning on my guess Is maybe something in the power bank died i don’t really know, so I went and found the box and for some reason the receipt wasn’t in it (usually where I keep them) so now I’m thinking I’m out of luck so I searched the box and the instructions for a support number only to find out they don’t have one so I went on there website and messaged/emailed them through there (waiting on a response) luckily I bought another one used for a not yet setup tank so I took that one for the meantime but I’m a bit frustrated that I spent $120 on this light and it hasn’t even lasted a year, has anyone else had these issues with there’s? Am I the odd one out and ok to get another one or should i eat the difference and get a fluval? (Plants are crypt lucens, Java fern, pogostemon stellatus octopus and a mix of duckweed and water lettuce, 29gal tank) so I wouldn’t imagine the 3.0 is necessary but the reliability and customer service is probably worth it 

9354E3CB-CB0E-4059-91AF-CEE8DE63F07B.jpeg

Finnex has a 6 month limited warranty, that they carry, and does not cover water damage at all. 

I personally like the peace of mind that the Fluval has a three year warranty,  is water proof, and if purchased through us at Aquarium Co-op, we carry the warranty, and have great customer service. We don't require the light to be sent back, just a video of the issue you are having with the light. Usually always taken care of the same day. 

The Fluval is completely adjustable to cater to your low light needs as well. 

• Like 1

I can't speak to the Finnex reliability, but I swapped one out to the Fluval 3.0 when I upgraded tanks and I have to say that I like the Fluval way more. I'm a big fan of running the 24/7 programs because of my work schedule, and I find that the Fluval is better. Less algae, and better color.

I don’t imagine it’s water with the cover but there is a small gap in the back, I’m at 8 months so I guess I’m out of luck there, I should have just got my light from the co-op to begin with (mistake I’ll only make once) i try and split between my local fish store but honestly it was just the initial investment that keep me away from the fluval and I knew the name finnex so I figured I’d get the slightly better one of those(or what I thought)kicking myself now wishing I just waited and saved up but I’m just gonna use the one I have for now it’s just hard to believe I’m a bit tight on cash right now all my tank money has came from $20 initial investment and a lot of donated time but I’m almost there I just can’t go and tie it all up at once, and and my next ones will be fluval and from the co op

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Kyle Knox said:

I don’t imagine it’s water with the cover but there is a small gap in the back, I’m at 8 months so I guess I’m out of luck there, I should have just got my light from the co-op to begin with (mistake I’ll only make once) i try and split between my local fish store but honestly it was just the initial investment that keep me away from the fluval and I knew the name finnex so I figured I’d get the slightly better one of those(or what I thought)kicking myself now wishing I just waited and saved up but I’m just gonna use the one I have for now it’s just hard to believe I’m a bit tight on cash right now all my tank money has came from $20 initial investment and a lot of donated time but I’m almost there I just can’t go and tie it all up at once, and and my next ones will be fluval and from the co op

Dang, I hate to see an expensive product like this have problems. Reach out to them anyway, they may help you. At my store when we did carry the finnex planted plus and such we personally warrantied them for 1 year. Even though finnex did only 6 months. We ended up having so many problems with everything but stingrays and the planted plus clip on light we stopped carrying any others from finnex 😞

I just messaged them tonight hopefully tomorrow or at least in a few days they’ll get back I really could have imagined it was anything serious it’s not like it fell in the tank or even off the tank to the floor, maybe power bank or maybe they’ll say oh just try this reset button combo and then it would kick back on easy but we’ll see I’ll put a update on here when they do get back in touch (my other one is a older 24/7) just praying that doesn’t die on me I tried to see if I could switch the power banks but there different connections if it does have issues I’ll  upgrade just hoping I can put it off a few months to make it easier and now saving for another one for the other 29 or maybe I’ll just put the tanks together and get the 48 in

Just about anything man made has a bathtub shaped failure curve. It will either malfunction quickly, or work for a long time, then the failure rate climbs again at the end of life.

The initial warrantee period is a great indicator of the confidence a manufacturer has in it's product.

Given that Fluval has a 3year for a light! It's unheard of. When was the last time you had more than 30day 6month for anything??

I hope they take care of you.