Otocinclus

pcb09

All, 

just got my first 6 otocinclus from aquahuna. they all seem happy and healthy, not huge about 1 inch. whats the best way to ensure they get enough food?

The tank they went into had three green walls, and i have algae waffers. Am i good? 

• Like 1

Hi! Otos are such fun little additions and a very underrated fish. If you've got 3 walls with algae growth, that's a good start. I never had much luck with algae wafers for them.

Hopefully they have round bellies upon arrival, much greater likelihood of success.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Hi! Otos are such fun little additions and a very underrated fish. If you've got 3 walls with algae growth, that's a good start. I never had much luck with algae wafers for them.

Hopefully they have round bellies upon arrival, much greater likelihood of success.

And that is exactly what I am worried about. So looking for any tips tricks etc to boost my odds of success

They will rasp on the inside of canned green beans. I also will give them Rapashy every so often. Another thing they like is the Xtreme Bottom Water. The main thing is to keep food in there for them all the time and don't depend on algea in the tank as their main source of food. Of course you should remove any uneaten food each morning to keep the tank clean. They will appreciate some wood in the tank for bio film to graze on. Good luck. Otos are great little fish. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:19 PM, DaveO said:

They will rasp on the inside of canned green beans. I also will give them Rapashy every so often. Another thing they like is the Xtreme Bottom Water. The main thing is to keep food in there for them all the time and don't depend on algea in the tank as their main source of food. Of course you should remove any uneaten food each morning to keep the tank clean. They will appreciate some wood in the tank for bio film to graze on. Good luck. Otos are great little fish. 

I wondered about repashy- any particular flavor work for you? Any luck with blanched zucchini or cucumber?

• Like 1

I use community blend and they seem to like it plenty. I have to admit I don't blanch veggies for them. I will offer some steamed frozen broccoli from time to time. The main veggie they like is the green beans. 

• Like 1

My otos like to work on the peel side of blanched zuchini. I take a longways slice of zucchini that has peel all over one side and microwave it. Once it cools I put it toward the top of the tank with a veggie clip. I also use algae wafers, and I drop them into the tank after lights out so the otos don’t have to compete with my platies and guppies for the food.