Tankmate Recommendation for Senior Banded Leporinus

quikv6

20220403_093510.jpg.068848162c48ed5276b7bf3b564ee1d2.jpg20220501_094826.jpg.dc92e06d398e986671dae7872914135a.jpgHi all,

I am looking for a tankmate recommendation for a black banded leporinus. He is almost 10 years old, and has been alone for much of his life. When he wasn't alone, he was a real S.O.B. with other fish.

He is currently about 10+ inches long, and in a 75 Gallon tank w/an AQ 110 and 2 Sponge filters.

Water parameters hover around:

PH - 7.0, GH - 100ppm, KH - 80ppm.

I was thinking one Oscar, or possible a couple of large Blood Parrots or Severums. I'd like something that can hold their own, and keep any aggression to a minimum. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1

He's beautiful! How long has it been since he's had tankmates?? I'm wondering if he possibly mellowed out with age lol. I don't keep big fish, but I know any decor change can help when adding new fish, if you have any decor. Hope you can find something that works with him! 

Thanks Hanna. He has been without tankmates for about 5 years.  

He was in a very neglected environment for years at an adjacent workplace in a 46 gallon bowfront. None of the other fish had survived.  When I came across the tank,  I asked to test the water. PH was around 5.0, Nitrates were over 600ppm, 0 GH, 0 KH.

I immediately took over maintenance,  got the tank in order, and got him a bigger home to a 75 gallon.  He colored up, and became more active.  It's nice to see a senior fish that was neglected finally thrive.

I don't want to stress him with a tankmate, but also want to give him an opportunity to be social, if that's a real thing. 

Basically,  I just want to do what's best for him,  and looking for advice here. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

How you considered adding some adult bristlenose or  some clown loach maybe he would ignore species that use the  bottom portion of tank if add plenty of caves for them to hide if he gets aggressive 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, quikv6 said:

He was in a very neglected environment for years at an adjacent workplace in a 46 gallon bowfront. None of the other fish had survived.  When I came across the tank,  I asked to test the water. PH was around 5.0, Nitrates were over 600ppm, 0 GH, 0 KH.

Poor guy 😭 I'm sure he's so much happier! I knew he looked familiar, I believe they were kept in our huge 125gal tanks at the LFS I used to work at. I think there were oscars, silver dollars, arrowanas, gars and other monster fish with them. Also common plecos. But you know how fish stores are, the tanks were certainly overstocked so I'm not sure what would work for a long-term home environment. I think your instinct on getting something that can hold it's own is a great idea. 

Thanks for the options guys. I ruled out clown loaches because they seem to do better in a group, and there is limited space in a 75.

I ruled out the plecos, because the owners of the tank are looking for more activity.  

The Gold Severums are a great suggestion if they can hold their own. I will look into the Acaras as well, though the leporinus may get nippy if they have longer fins. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming! 

Update: I decided to go with a pretty big tiger Oscar. He was in a tank with some bigger fish, and certainly held his own, if not ran the tank.

Result: Destruction.

After introducing the Oscar, I watched them for an hour, and nothing more than some minor interest and following from the Leporinus. They then went to opposite sides of the tank, and seemed to relax. I left the lights off for them to get comfortable. It was a new tank for the Oscar, and the Leporinus has not been with another fish in many years.

I got an SOS text video from work collegues with an intense fight. The Oscar got his ______ handed to him. Pretty bad. I hustled back to the location. The Oscar was not moving, wedged into a corner behind the heater. He had lots of scale damage, and nipped fins. He really looked terrible.

I bucketed him, and brought him home. He is currently in a 20 gallon (i know...I know....my only spare tank), w/ salt and clean water. He looks a bit better today, and has started moving around again. I am hoping for a recovery, but I have nowhere to keep him permanently.

And I am back at square one for a tankmate for the Leporinus. Perhaps he just wants to be alone.

(The picture is of the Oscar in the new tank....before Round 1. The suspect is pictured as well. )

20220703_132603.jpg

20220703_124354.jpg

Edited by quikv6