How many of each?

sweetpoison

I have a 20 gal long. These are the wet pets I’m interested in.

Rummynose is my favorite ~ and I will be adopting an orphaned tiny discus. So he will be with them. I raised discus for years and know about them well. I also had one alone for a long time and he did quite well.  It’s not open for debate he needs a home.  He is stunted so won’t get too big.

Should I get them all at once or the discus first?

How many of each?
——————
Green neon tetras,

Chilli Rasboras,

Celestial Pearl Danios

Otocinclus.

Rummynose tetras,

neon tetras,

Harlequin Rasboras,

Celestial Pearl Danio,

Harlequin Rasboras

Rainbow Shiners

• Like 3

I like to keep my Discus pretty warm. I'd probably go with a small pack of Rummys, the rescue-Discus, and some Rams. But if you don't like Rams, maybe try the Green neons. a 20-long isn't quite the tank I prefer a 29 gal. tall fits on the exact footprint, but leaves a lot more space to explore. If I have a 29 gal, I'd go for 12x Rummys, 12x Green Neons, the Rescue Discus, and a pair of Rams. I know it's overstocked.

Here's a Ram Grow-out my son had in his room with s singe Discus. Just a 20 gal tall. I swear that Discus believed it was a Ram...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I wouldn’t put chilis with a discus unless the discus is crazy tiny. Chilis are itty bitty things and hide a lot. You would probably rarely see them if there was a discus in the tank with them. I barely see them in my nanofish tank. I just got in 20 more into QT to see if boosting their numbers will get them out of hiding better. I have about 30 in the tank now and don’t see much of them. I’m hoping 50 will get them more comfortable.

I think @Fish Folkhas very good suggestions. I really like my ember tetras and my Kubotais rasboras. They are pretty bold but not so frenetic in their activity levels that they would bother a discus. Temp wise the embers are probably a better match for the discus than either rummies or Kubotais. What color is your wee discus?  Do you want to contrast or do a matching color theme?

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 8:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

I like to keep my Discus pretty warm. I'd probably go with a small pack of Rummys, the rescue-Discus, and some Rams. But if you don't like Rams, maybe try the Green neons. a 20-long isn't quite the tank I prefer a 29 gal. tall fits on the exact footprint, but leaves a lot more space to explore. If I have a 29 gal, I'd go for 12x Rummys, 12x Green Neons, the Rescue Discus, and a pair of Rams. I know it's overstocked.

Here's a Ram Grow-out my son had in his room with s singe Discus. Just a 20 gal tall. I swear that Discus believed it was a Ram...

I do too I used to keep my discus I think around 82. So that’s what I was wondering if the other ones I listed could deal with that temp. I love your tank so much and I’m going to look for those Rams. The more I think about it I think this might be a 29 because I remember the 20 looks really small for me ~ I can’t remember is there a way to find out ~ is it written anywhere LOL it’s funny cause I was going to get the tall and then everybody said no no no more swimming room get the long😂

I cannot wait to get that Discus. So do you think that I should get all my fish at once or the discus first?  I’m trying to get this tank cycled now with ammonia So I can go get him

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, Odd Duck said:

I wouldn’t put chilis with a discus unless the discus is crazy tiny. Chilis are itty bitty things and hide a lot. You would probably rarely see them if there was a discus in the tank with them. I barely see them in my nanofish tank. I just got in 20 more into QT to see if boosting their numbers will get them out of hiding better. I have about 30 in the tank now and don’t see much of them. I’m hoping 50 will get them more comfortable.

I think @Fish Folkhas very good suggestions. I really like my ember tetras and my Kubotais rasboras. They are pretty bold but not so frenetic in their activity levels that they would bother a discus. Temp wise the embers are probably a better match for the discus than either rummies or Kubotais. What color is your wee discus?  Do you want to contrast or do a matching color theme?

So you don’t think that the Rummies would tolerate that higher temp? This is sad news. But I had Rummynose with my discus all the time in my 55 gallons and they thrived and survived and they loved me very much 😂I don’t really care about a color theme. But I just really wanted runmy nose I love them so much and that discus that I have to get…

Chilis not a good idea they hide a lot…

Well shitums, @Odd Duck

On 7/1/2022 at 9:31 AM, sweetpoison said:

do you think that I should get all my fish at once or the discus first?  I’m trying to get this tank cycled now with ammonia So I can go get him

I’d be very certain of a complete cycle before adding fish.

Here’s what I usually do to “quick-cycle”…

(1) Use a biologically activated substrate like Eco Complete — or, transfer substrate from a cycled tank.

(2) Use Wood or Hardscape from inside a cycled tank. We buy wet wood from our LFS.

(3) Use a primed sponge filter already full of bio.

(4) Use tank water from a cycled tank.

(5) Buy tons of live plants. They bring in bio.

(6) Dump in Dr. Tim’s bio starter fluid.

Then wait a day. Test water. Wait until Nitrates are increasing. Add fish. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 7:01 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’d be very certain of a complete cycle before adding fish.

Here’s what I usually do to “quick-cycle”…

(1) Use a biologically activated substrate like Eco Complete — or, transfer substrate from a cycled tank.

(2) Use Wood or Hardscape from inside a cycled tank. We buy wet wood from our LFS.

(3) Use a primed sponge filter already full of bio.

(4) Use tank water from a cycled tank.

(5) Buy tons of live plants. They bring in bio.

(6) Dump in Dr. Tim’s bio starter fluid.

Then wait a day. Test water. Wait until Nitrates are increasing. Add fish. 

I would never put fish in Uncycled tank. I don’t have sponges to take from another tank I used to do that all the time ~ Quick and easy ~ right now I only have one tank.  I’ve never had to cycle a tank without already seeded sponges.  I’m already using Dr. Tim’s ammonia drops I add every other day, waiting for nitrates

On 7/1/2022 at 9:21 AM, Brandon p said:

I have neons in with my so-called mini discus. The temps 82-83. They seem ok they have been around a few years and the discus are about 1 year. I did slowly change the temp from 77-78 to 82. I like @Fish Folk ideas. Rams are beautiful. 

We had  neons, Cardinals and rummies with all of our discus they did fine too. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, sweetpoison said:

So you don’t think that the Rummies would tolerate that higher temp? This is sad news. But I had Rummynose with my discus all the time in my 55 gallons and they thrived and survived and they loved me very much 😂I don’t really care about a color theme. But I just really wanted runmy nose I love them so much and that discus that I have to get…

Chilis not a good idea they hide a lot…

Well shitums, @Odd Duck

That appears to be at the tippy top of their “generally accepted” range, but it’s not exactly unusual to violate standard conventions around here.  Rummies can be really picky sometimes.  It likely wouldn’t take long to figure out if they were happy at discus temps or not.  Since the discus is the “picky one” from your list, you’ll need to treat it as the pampered prima donna and everybody else has to adjust.  So it depends on what temp you plan to run for your discus.  If 86, that’s going to push range for the rummies.  If 82, you should be fine.

Not sure if you have picked your discus yet but you make want to check this. I have heard that the stendker discus can handle lower temps(as far as discus go), and higher Ph. In know that Cory talked about the Ph in a live stream about 8 months ago. If you get one breed in German the water is a high ph there(I have heard) than in parts of the US

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:26 AM, Odd Duck said:

That appears to be at the tippy top of their “generally accepted” range, but it’s not exactly unusual to violate standard conventions around here.  Rummies can be really picky sometimes.  It likely wouldn’t take long to figure out if they were happy at discus temps or not.  Since the discus is the “picky one” from your list, you’ll need to treat it as the pampered prima donna and everybody else has to adjust.  So it depends on what temp you plan to run for your discus.  If 86, that’s going to push range for the rummies.  If 82, you should be fine.

I’m use to have rummies and discus together all the time they did fine but that was 10 years ago and I don’t really remember how or what I did☺️ I do you remember getting large schools of fish for my 55 and you always lose a few.  It was like losing a little piece of your heart🥺

82 is good for all♥️ I called a really good LFS Store around here and they have every one of my fish ~ I don’t remember them being so expensive though!  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, sweetpoison said:

82 is good for all♥️ I called a really good LFS Store around here and they have every one of my fish ~ I don’t remember them being so expensive though!

It’s a dirty trick of COVID that loads of things are more expensive now and we are lucky we can even get fish these days.  If they can get fish at all, it’s definitely worth supporting them and paying their prices so they can do the initial quarantine and you’re less likely to lose fish when you get them home and into quarantine.  They’re also more likely to make it out of quarantine if they’ve already spent some time at your lfs after being imported.

This makes sense and I’m definitely going to support them♥️  I don’t have a quarantine tank just my 29 long that’s why I wanted to get as many as I could at one time, does that make sense?

On 7/2/2022 at 5:44 AM, Odd Duck said:

It’s a dirty trick of COVID that loads of things are more expensive now and we are lucky we can even get fish these days.  If they can get fish at all, it’s definitely worth supporting them and paying their prices so they can do the initial quarantine and you’re less likely to lose fish when you get them home and into quarantine.  They’re also more likely to make it out of quarantine if they’ve already spent some time at your lfs after being imported.

You always explain things so easy and this makes a lot of sense up there thank you for this♥️

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:55 AM, Brandon p said:

Not sure if you have picked your discus yet but you make want to check this. I have heard that the stendker discus can handle lower temps(as far as discus go), and higher Ph. In know that Cory talked about the Ph in a live stream about 8 months ago. If you get one breed in German the water is a high ph there(I have heard) than in parts of the US

I know Hans ~ I purchased some discus from him in the past.  Excellent quality♥️

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

If no used filter available, Fritz Zyme 7 is good.

I’m already treating with ammonia every other day, I was told to buy. If I got the fritz, so I just discontinue the ammonia?  

So the purpose of the Fritz is to cycle my tank quicker? So I can add fish quicker?

Quick question ~ once tank is established and cycled how long before I need to add fish?

Edited by sweetpoison

No. Fritz Zyme works with the ammonia.  It provides the bacteria that eat the ammonia.

If the tank is cycled, then you're good to add fish, but it's a good idea to add them gradually so as not to introduce too much extra bioload to the filter at a time, because that can happen, even in a cycled tank.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, sweetpoison said:

So the purpose of the Fritz is to cycle my tank quicker? So I can add fish quicker?

Yes.

@Fish Folk also recommended Dr. Tim's (different from the ammonia you have).  That or the Fritz Zyme do the same thing.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, sweetpoison said:

I think I’ll just stick with a Ammonia cause I am in no hurry to cycle this tank 🙄as I cannot get fish right now.  And just hypothetically speaking, if it’s cycled tomorrow how long do I have to add fish? 

You should challenge a new tank at least a couple times before adding fish, so dose with ammonia and test a couple times a day so you can see that the ammonia converts to nitrites, then nitrates.  It should do this over no more than 24 hours in order to consider the tank “cycled”.  After that you can blind feed until you have your fish in hand.  This means feed a small amount about half or a third of what you would feed the fish and watch the params again.  Usually every other day to every third day for the blind feeding.  You can also add some snails as soon as the tank passes the challenges.

Remember that a newly cycled tank still has a fairly fragile balance and it doesn’t take much to upset that balance.  So go easy on adding livestock but snails are a good first step.  I would not jump straight to nerites since so many of them appear 100% algae dependent.  Pick snails that won’t overrun a new tank and that will also eat veggies.  1-2 mystery snails, OR a couple Japanese trapdoors (these are slowly reproducing livebearers), OR a couple rabbit snails (another slowly reproducing livebearer), OR a couple chopstick snails (also slow reproducing livebearer) <—- note chopsticks are NOT the same as spike snails.  You could do ramshorns but they have more tendency to overrun a tank, especially a tank that hasn’t quite hit the balance point perfectly yet (every new tank, in other words).

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:30 PM, Brandon p said:

I would add the less expensive fish first and let them hang in the tank. Fist and just let it get going. I hate to lose a discus not because of the price but they are such pretty fish.

I agree!  I was told the Oto and Discus last…

Thank You, Brandon ~ you are always here and helpfulシ

• Like 1