Where does she usually hang out in the tank?

Mine was usually left side hidden by some plants when it wasn't food time.  Feed the tetras somewhere else, then I would go over to her area and target feed her.  The tetras might eventually sniff out the food, but they shouldn't have to.... how'd you put it... "buy her time".   Hopefully it's something like having a spot, a cover, a cave, a plant, anything that she likes to guard gives her a spot and then you can feed her and she will know it'll be there and she doesn't have to stress to try to feed with the other fish going bonkers around her.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I tried to put food in the flower pot cave once but she didn’t seem to understand and just looked at me. I will have to try some different strategies.

Have you seen Dean's setup for his?

Take a little baggy or something and crush up a good amount of food from those bigger pellets for a few days.  Try to feed the tank normally with the smaller bits and see how they do.  She's a really active ram, which is awesome.

I had plants, but later on I ended up having an actual flower pot.  The fish REALLY didn't understand it because it was closed on one side.  Some of the fish kept trying to go through the little hole on the bottom.  I've seen some people break pieces in half so they can make it look like debris on the bottom.  I would use a flat sided pot and just bury it in the substrate so it looked like an archway.

They tend to feel secure with a wall / something on their backside so they can't get confronted from behind and they protect the front.  That's what Deans setup looks like too!

On 7/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

In the smaller pellet video she is showing some more gold.

Very cool.  She'll color up.  There's a lot of color on those fish. 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The fish REALLY didn't understand it because it was closed on one side

Oh! I have a swim through one I made! It’s in the back. Also I have this log thing. I saw her swim through it before but usually she’s out in the open. 

F35D74EB-CBD9-4AB7-A500-6EE643606549.jpeg

13EA21B6-C2A3-47EC-B33E-89B277B80829.jpeg

02CA159C-BC7D-4CE4-B284-5CFD569642A6.jpeg

Check this out. This is how I made the pot; I followed the girl on this video. Easy!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Maybe I can stick the turkey baster tip into the side of the log, and she can swim in the front. I think the tetras are too dumb to figure that out, and they don’t go in caves.

The spot with the wood / pot, you can direct her to the pot and then put the food in the corner.  Then she'll know! Lol.  just make sure you tell her it's your little secret and not to let the tetra bullies know.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 9:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Look at this beauty

@Gwallace what do you feed your Bolivian ram to get such wonderful color?

Your gonna laugh!  I typically keep big Cichlids.  The big boys generally get whole Krill and Massivore.  When I set up the desk tank with the Bolivian I decided to just feed him the same thing.  So he gets small crumbles of whole Krill and pieces of a Massivore pellet.  He eats a Massivore pellet over the course of 2 days and seems to love them.  Thank you noticing the little guy.  He has quite the attitude for a little fella.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Earlier in this thread we were discussing the cute personality that the Bolivian ram has.  We love them! 😍

I definitely like mine.  When he get's a little bigger i'm going to give him a bigger tank and a girfriend.  I have an 40 breeder that will be perfect for them. 

Hered a better pic...

20220708_145452.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Such a beautiful ram!

Nice tank too, awesome little scape for him that reminds me of my old tank.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:36 AM, Gwallace said:

Your gonna laugh!  I typically keep big Cichlids.  The big boys generally get whole Krill and Massivore.  When I set up the desk tank with the Bolivian I decided to just feed him the same thing.  So he gets small crumbles of whole Krill and pieces of a Massivore pellet.  He eats a Massivore pellet over the course of 2 days and seems to love them.  Thank you noticing the little guy.  He has quite the attitude for a little fella.

Well now we're just going to have to request a video 😂

• Like 2

Color poppin’ on the ram today after I target fed her the crushed sinking pellets. She liked searching for them. When she spotted one her fin would stand up and she would do a little charge at it. The size was perfect for her to swallow, and some she chewed up. After she ate the gold on her belly became really vibrant.

She ate some frozen brine shrimp too.

04D829C7-01A5-4CA2-8A64-67ED57C9B200.jpeg

09375703-0320-4EB8-9F13-F3A30F89CC9B.jpeg

3DE305A9-392A-4F04-A283-D86E4C1D6860.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

She found a little spot to defend by a swim through pot. But the tetras were relentless, returning again and again to take her food. I fed them multiple times at the surface to keep them away but it didn’t work. She spent like 30 minutes chasing everybody out of her spot. Her charges are getting faster and more aggressive. She is losing her patience.

She’s going to go out to the 10 gal once I can get the snails moved out. Right now they are producing quite the bioload and I’m already water changing twice a day. Aquarium club auction occurs in 3 weeks, and I plan to take the snails to that for sale.

I wonder if she’d do ok with a few threadfins? I really would like a few for the 10 gal. They are very interesting fish.

@nabokovfan87 I think I found a trick to train her to eat at the cave. Tonight is the first time I’ve tried it but it seemed to work very well. I fed the tetras some flakes. A few flakes fell and the ram, who now comes up to midlevel, ate them. She continued to look for flakes but after I fed those, I put sinking food at her cave with the turkey baster, and she didn’t notice it. So I took a flashlight and shined it into the side of the tank to illuminate the cave entrance. Bolivian rams are curious fish. She went over to see what the light was all about, and then she found the sinking food that was there.

The tetras are too dumb to care about the light, and continued to look for flakes.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:20 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

She continued to look for flakes but after I fed those, I put sinking food at her cave with the turkey baster, and she didn’t notice it. So I took a flashlight and shined it into the side of the tank to illuminate the cave entrance. Bolivian rams are curious fish. She went over to see what the light was all about, and then she found the sinking food that was there.

That's awesome.  Nice little trick!

• Thanks 1