Design Challenge: Fish Tub

nabokovfan87

Question for everyone...

Imagine you're designing "the ultimate version" of what literally amounts to a Rubbermaid or Sterilite storage containers specifically for use with the fish hobby.

What types of "features" are mandatory? What types of things make sense for your own use, but might not make sense for every hobbyist?

What do you feel like is the "right size" for your own personal use?

I might have to sketch this one out and get the design brain going. I'd really like to hear some use cases.

For my own experience, I use my tub(s) almost daily. I use buckets with lids as tubs as well. There's a lot of things I use daily, other things that might make sense for longer term storage.  I think there's two or three designs here that work extremely well and/or present an opportunity to make the hobby easier, especially for someone with an injury who might need something specific to make the hobby possible.

Daily use: that cart that jimmy showed off, on wheels, with specific things made to hold and store things you use daily or weekly. (For me these are buckets with lids on a stool)

Semi-regular storage: Think of the things inside of your aquarium stand itself. What would you keep there and is this the "best place" for it to be stored?

Long-term storage: larger items, hardscape, things not used regularly but where something like a hot garage might not make sense. This is what I use my "fish tubs" for. (I have two of these)

Edited by nabokovfan87
Punctuation

On 6/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That makes more sense l. This is the second time in 2 days. Sorry I misunderstood. I have a few things on my mind and have been reading and posting to take my mind off of things 

Edited by Brandon p

On 6/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, Brandon p said:

I have a few things on my mind and have been reading and posting to take my mind off of things

No worries at all!  Hope all is well. Hit up some of Cory's old videos or something like Pecktec, Racheal O'Leary is really awesome to help with days like you're describing.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I’m thinking I’m going to need a cart.  I remember seeing this video but forgot all about that handy cart.  If nothing else, just to hold all the fish food I’ve ended up using.  I like to rotate between different flakes/floating foods, algae wafers, sinking meaty wafers/pellets, etc.  Not to mention scaping tools, scrapers, superglue gel, a safe, dry place to put my phone to be handy for taking pics, etc.  It would make me more inclined to stay up on the little tasks I sometimes let slide too long when I’m having trouble keeping up.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, Odd Duck said:

If nothing else, just to hold all the fish food I’ve ended up using.  I like to rotate between different flakes/floating foods, algae wafers, sinking meaty wafers/pellets, etc.

Totally seems useful for that. My main thing now is trying to keep the food in a container that's taken from semi-monthly or something instead of daily, keeping it fresh and on the fridge or at least in a good container out of light. It's pretty amazingly frustrating how much temps change on my fish tank and storage areas daily.  At least a 25-40 degree swing without even trying and very hot during the days now.

Everything else, I think I'd really like to have a cart for. Especially being able to have a metal one and use magnets and what not. Python on the bottom, etc.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, Odd Duck said:

It would make me more inclined to stay up on the little tasks I sometimes let slide too long when I’m having trouble keeping up.

Exactly! There's different needs and a lot of concepts floating from the initial thought that led me to ask the questions in the original post. I'm trying to catalog in my mind what goes where, what is the setup I actually want and would use. My analogy being my coffee stuff o use and when I use it, what is on the counter and what is a cupboard or close access and what isn't.

• Like 1

@Odd Ducki Found the ultimate fish room cart I think. I don't see black but...

KINGRACK 3-Tier Storage Rolling Cart, Metal Push Cart with DIY Pegboard, Trolley Organizer with Utility Handle and Extra Baskets Hooks for Kitchen Office Classroom Home, Grey https://a.co/d/gfolLy1

The only issue is the bottom or some of the shelves not being solid. Easily fixed.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Odd Ducki Found the ultimate fish room cart I think. I don't see black but...

KINGRACK 3-Tier Storage Rolling Cart, Metal Push Cart with DIY Pegboard, Trolley Organizer with Utility Handle and Extra Baskets Hooks for Kitchen Office Classroom Home, Grey https://a.co/d/gfolLy1

The only issue is the bottom or some of the shelves not being solid. Easily fixed.

That one looks a little narrow, might possibly be a bit tippy.

Looks sturdy, just a little narrow.

Although I don’t see dimensions for the other cart.  It might be just as narrow.

Here's my concept...

Main features:

-A box that can be held in place or secured for the sake of small parts ("tackle box" type of design but moreso a parts bin type of design)

-Section with dividers to hold bottles upright and store items like food and meds

-Sliding tray for damp or wet storage to dry out. (hoses, python, etc.)

-Storage section large enough to hold foams easily when stored as well as hardscape and other items

-latching style locking lid to make it easy to more without concern for the lid falling off.

AquariumTubDesign.thumb.jpg.4e578c335b731513213f8b31d3c26160.jpg

Edited by nabokovfan87
added scanned version of the image for clarity