Substrate Layering

dmurray407

Is it OK to layer substrates? I have about 2 inches of black gravel in my 65 gal aquarium. I would like to add a little more-maybe another inch. I'm wondering if can gradually add some Eco complete (I like the look of it) or some other substrate suitable for planted tanks over the top of the gravel? I don't see a reason to remove the gravel-it's been in the tank for a few years and is full of all kinds of good bacteria but I want to change the look up. I also have to be careful because I have a nice colony of shrimp going in the tank. Most of my current plants are Java Ferns, so I can just keep moving them up a bit at a time as I add new gravel. What do you think?  (I'm also being cautious because years ago I removed all the gravel in a different tank and totally crashed everything-not good...)

• Like 1

I did it backward for my 75 gallon.  Eco-complete under gravel, about 50 of the gravel was from a 20 gallon I was retiring.  Worked well, and the tank cycled super fast.  Can’t see any issue with eco-complete on top, though over time it may settle into the gravel.

• Like 1

I also don't see why it wouldn't work.  My newest tank has a layer of cow manure on bottom, then a layer of potting soil, and then capped with pool filter sand.  It's working fine (though I had bubbles coming up from the substrate for a very long time).

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 7:00 AM, JettsPapa said:

I also don't see why it wouldn't work.  My newest tank has a layer of cow manure on bottom, then a layer of potting soil, and then capped with pool filter sand.  It's working fine (though I had bubbles coming up from the substrate for a very long time).

I hope it's composted manure! 🙂

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Love 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:03 AM, Patrick_G said:

I hope it's composted manure! 🙂

No, but it was dry.  I got it from my barn.  By the way, those bubbles I mentioned were still coming up long after I added guppies to the tank, but they didn't seem to cause any problems.