Jumping Cardinal Tetras?

RichNJ

Anyone have a cardinal tetra jump out of tank?  I found one dead and dried up on the floor (my first jumper ever!).  I have a small gap on one part of my lids for my canister plumbing.  Surprised he found a way out and cardinals are mid-to-low tank swimmers usually too.  Maybe he got chased by a bigger angel?!?!?

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, RichNJ said:

Anyone have a cardinal tetra jump out of tank?  I found one dead and dried up on the floor (my first jumper ever!).  I have a small gap on one part of my lids for my canister plumbing.  Surprised he found a way out and cardinals are mid-to-low tank swimmers usually too.  Maybe he got chased by a bigger angel?!?!?

I’ve occasionally had this happen with tetras. Cardinals are pretty weak in the morning at first-light. They become targets for hungry larger fish. Also, if there’s something frightening them — high traffic, people moving around too quickly — they may jump.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve occasionally had this happen with tetras. Cardinals are pretty weak in the morning at first-light. They become targets for hungry larger fish. Also, if there’s something frightening them — high traffic, people moving around too quickly — they may jump.

Not anything abnormal…I suppose just random and bad luck since I’ve never had it happen for this tank (approx. 1.5yrs old community tank).  I think he picked the “perfect” spot to freak out and got out.  

• Sad 1

A little update....two angels paired up and just laid eggs on my amazon swords and both are a bit grumpy with the others while defending their ground.  Maybe they chased the cardinal out...just one scenario.