Hatching Brine Shrimp in the summer

KaiU

Hello everyone, I live in Washington and struggling with hatching my brine shrimps. In the winter and spring it was working just fine but since it’s summer and the temperature is now hotter than ever, my baby brine shrimp are now too hot. Does anyone have recommendations on what I can do? Right now I’m using a light with 60w and an air pump. Is the air pump supposed to be blowing lots of bubbles or just enough?

thank you very much everyone. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:57 PM, KaiU said:

Hello everyone, I live in Washington and struggling with hatching my brine shrimps. In the winter and spring it was working just fine but since it’s summer and the temperature is now hotter than ever, my baby brine shrimp are now too hot. Does anyone have recommendations on what I can do? Right now I’m using a light with 60w and an air pump. Is the air pump supposed to be blowing lots of bubbles or just enough?

thank you very much everyone. 

You say you are using a 60 watt light, get rid of the light. Its like having a heater there. As for air, make sure that it is turning over the water and keeping the eggs stirred up and not allowing them to settle. 

• Like 1

I use lots of bubble. Summer I sit the hatchery near a window but not direct light. Over the winter I sit it directly in the light. They hatch fine. In rooms I have no available window I use a small heater in the winter but none in the summer. Sometimes at room temp 70 it takes longer to hatch by a day but they still hatch even with no light other than ambient room light from my tanks. Anything over 80 up to 83 my hatches are less 83+ it’s dicey if any hatch at all.

I just took this to give you a rough-idea of my bubbles. Coop nano pump check valve and siss never clog airstone full blast  

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

I use just enough aid to move things. In one of deans videos he said he thought people use to much air and you just need enough air to move everything. To much agitation will kill newly hatched shrimp. That is some thing that you can try and see what you think works best do a few batches the same way for a few runs and do some with more air and some with less. I use the ziss air stone as well. As for temp I’m at about 80. I don’t use and light other than the light from the tanks. The only time the comes out is to harvest. 

no I could not find the video of Dean taking about the air l. It was in a video that was not about brine but the subject came up. I’m sure it was one of the fish room tours.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Thanks 1