DIY Root Tab - Capsule Suggestion

I made some Osmocote root tabs but I don't think they're working quite right. I've found that even after adding several, my root feeders don't necessarily perk up. Sometimes they kinda do, and sometimes there's just nothing. (although, sometimes they just explode)

I think the problem is the gelatin capsules I got. They're getting squishy, but I don't think they're breaking down and releasing the Osmocote beads. Is that possible? I put a couple in a bucket of water, and they got big, then deflated, but stayed more or less wrapped around the Osmocote. Have any of you had that experience?

I got the XPRS Nutra Capsules Express Pure Gelatin caps. Do you guys have any suggestions for caps that have worked well for you?

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Could be that I just need to add way more. But the ACO Easy Root Tabs worked great for me with the same dosing.

Hi @Corbidorbidoodle

Osmocote root tabs contain basically just nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N, P, K) but none of the secondary nutrients such as iron, calcium, and magnesium (Fe, Ca, Mg) nor any of the multitude of micro-nutrients.  So, if you already had sufficient N, P, and K in your tank adding the capsules would to little to enhance growth.  Plants need more than just N, P, and K so it is likely that some other nutrient is limiting the growth of you plants.....it is not uncommon.

I do regular tests of my tank water to determine the levels of N, P, and K as well as Ca, and calculate my Mg levels.  If the plants show signs of insufficient available iron (Fe) I check my pH and my Fe levels.  -Roy

@Seattle_Aquarist is correct that the original Osmocote contained just N,P,K.  However Osmocote PLUS contains  most of the micro-nutrients.  Be aware that the PLUS version contains copper and approximately 60% of the nitrogen is ammoniacal (meaning if you put in too many capsules or if the capsules work their way to the surface you could get an ammonia spike).

On 6/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Sorry, yeah. I've been trying the Plus version. I always forget to specify that.

Aquarium Co-op's root tabs contain mineralized topsoil and clay. Both have high cation exchange capacity, which means they retain nutrients for a longer period of time. If you are using osmocote+ with coarse sand or gravel, nutrients can quickly leach into the water column rather than staying in the root zone. You could try mixing regular topsoil in with the osmocote in your root tabs to see if that helps.

Ya know, I actually just went ahead and ordered some more easy tabs. My brain legit melts when science is happening around me. I'm a very good visual artist, but I don't science good. The easy tabs are just so effective that I decided DIY isn't worth the savings this time.

Not a sponsor.😉

On 6/28/2022 at 4:09 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Ya know, I actually just went ahead and ordered some more easy tabs. My brain legit melts when science is happening around me. I'm a very good visual artist, but I don't science good. The easy tabs are just so effective that I decided DIY isn't worth the savings this time.

Not a sponsor.😉

That was gonna be my suggestion. If they work so well... just use them! The osmocote will still be useful around your garden.

I'm a cheap skater, so I'm always looking for the budget version of pretty much anything. Sometimes it's worth the extra money though. And the ACO stuff is about the best price around for the stuff that Cory makes. His Easy Tabs are a dang steal compared to some brands.

I can still use the DIY tabs for some stuff. They work great when they do work. And I spent less on 500 DIY tabs than I did on 2 blue shrimp. So it's not like it's a waste.