Co2 Needle Valve Always Needs Adjusting

So I have several hunches on what is going on but heres the full context of my issue.

Bubble counters on my multi co2 regulator broke bc I am careless and knocked over the co2 tank being a goof.

While searching for replacement bubble counters, the ones that sit on the needle valve, I saw a few co2 diffusers and mine were caked in algae so I grabbed one to test for a week before buying another one for the other tank.

Everything seemed ok on the one I bought so I bought another one and replaced my old one. Yes I am aware there is some way of fixing diffusers covered in algae but they were cheap ones and the toothbrush thing didnt work.

I noticed that my co2 bubbles were inconsistent and I was always getting home and adjusting them more open. I even tried  increasing the psi to 80, dont recommend lol but gave up and assumed the tank was low on co2 so I replaced the tank..

Now I am having issues dialing in only one of my needle valves and the other is actually doing consistent output.

Just got home today and figured I better just give in and ask the forums if anyone knows what this is, did I do this, how can I prevent this in the future, just 2022 guidance.

Context given above, theory below.

Theory 1: I believe the cheap little diffusers are somehow putting back pressure on the co2 lines. A few reviews complained about how high psi is needed which is why I tried 80 psi. Idk how to mitigate this except daily dialing in the needle valve until I reach equilibrium with the back pressure.

Theory 2: It could be the bubble counters. I installed them together with one diffuser and the issue started exactly at that time sorta. The other algae ridden diffuser worked though...

Theory 3: The needle valve is wandering/damaged and needs fixed. Idk how to fix this and all information I found online talks about back pressure from the line and the reviews of the diffusers talk about high pressure so maybe theyre experiencing back pressure too?

Im completely lost, and even if I figure out whats causing the singular co2 line to slow down bubbles/pressure I dont know how to go about fixing it. Id hate to buy another co2 needle valve when the problem is something else

Also, there are no leaks and I am using brass check valves which are semi new

If youve experienced something like this or simply know how to diagnose or fix this thatd be great. I have a high lighting system now and am one day without co2 into having an algae farm lol

Are you using a powered solenoid to control co2 time? If so it could be heating up your valve and thermal expansion could be changing the needle. I set my rates when the co2 has been on for a while so the needle is at normal operating temp. Also gas will go the path of least resistance so when you change one it affects the other. A higher psi will help mitigate that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 1:46 PM, Antonio said:

Bubble counters on my multi co2 regulator broke bc I am careless and knocked over the co2 tank being a goof.

I feel ya.  Hate when I get clutsy like that.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:46 PM, Antonio said:

Theory 1: I believe the cheap little diffusers are somehow putting back pressure on the co2 lines. A few reviews complained about how high psi is needed which is why I tried 80 psi. Idk how to mitigate this except daily dialing in the needle valve until I reach equilibrium with the back pressure.

Theory 2: It could be the bubble counters. I installed them together with one diffuser and the issue started exactly at that time sorta. The other algae ridden diffuser worked though...

Theory 3: The needle valve is wandering/damaged and needs fixed. Idk how to fix this and all information I found online talks about back pressure from the line and the reviews of the diffusers talk about high pressure so maybe theyre experiencing back pressure too?

Theory 1:  Swap the lines to rule out the diffuser.  This would isolate it to either the valve itself or to the output (check valve / diffuser) itself causing the issue.
Theory 2:  Verify all seals are installed correctly and not dried out or damaged.  I would also make sure you don't have issues with something like hard water deposits causing a narrowing / issue.
Theory 3:  Fix 1 and 2, then if that's not the solution, fix 3.

I had an issue with mine and essentially I screwed up my regulator for just over two years before I figured out how to fix it.  I had turned the main knob the wrong way fully and didn't realize it.  So working through troubleshooting steps with the manufacturer really helped.  I started at the actual attachment to the tank itself then through to the first valve, etc.  Each time verifying the gauges and everything was working correctly.  That's the process I'd recommend to make sure everything is working as it should.

Sidenote.  If anyone knows of those little bases you can set the canisters in so they don't fall easily, apart from using a wall / chain, I've been trying to find them and would appreciate a link!

• Thanks 1

This problem ultimately fixed itself. After posting this and readjusting my co2 the next day it found equilibrium. Its these cheap diffusers, theyre putting a goofy back pressure on the lines. I had to bumb it up to 50ish psi and it run about 1.5 to 2 bps at the valve but by the time it hits the diffuser its running at 1 bps. I think its the design of the diffuser causing the issue. It has a built in bubble counter to it and is like a motor, it takes alot at first to get it going

It only took one more day of patience lol

Hopefully people of the internet may find this post and can help them too

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Antonio said:

I think its the design of the diffuser causing the issue. It has a built in bubble counter to it and is like a motor, it takes alot at first to get it going

which one?

what is your pressure on the leftmost valve for your CO2?  That one would determine what kind of pressure is in the line and help that situation.